Chapter Twenty Four: The Party

Harry's POV

.

.

Louis's eyes were knitted together in concentration, his tongue sticking out of the side of his mouth ever so slightly.

"You know, you look really cute when you're perplexed," I told the older boy.

"Shut up," he joked, flipping the page of his textbook, even though he didn't really read any of it. He stared at the page blankly, sighing.

"What do I do?" he asked. I knew exactly what he meant. I stared at his blue eyes, breathing in deeply.

"Whatever you want, Lou. It's your life," I responded, tucking a piece of his brown locks behind his ear. There was a pause. Louis shut the book, turning on his side to face me. We were lying stomach first on his bed.

"If I come out to the whole school, what if the same thing happens? What if everyone hates me?" Louis looked truthfully scared as he spoke, gnawing on his lower lip. I thought for a moment before responding.

"What if we come out as a couple? You won't be alone then," I offered. As the words left my mouth, Louis's face immediately lit up. A smile was plastered on his cute little lips.

"You'd want to come out as a couple?" he asked, turning his head to one side.

"Yeah, I mean, do you?"

"Yeah," he answered. "How about, like, on Saturday, during my party?" Louis asked after a short pause. I nodded.

"Yeah, okay."

Louis leaned his lips into mine, smiling into the kiss. I decided a while ago that I enjoy kissing Louis a lot. His lips were like candy, and I could snog him for hours.

.

*

.

The new apartment I shared with my stepdad was altogether quite crowded. It had only two bedrooms, and they were tiny. I could barely walk around mine without banging into my bedframe. My stepdad and I were never very close, but I could stand him. The first few weeks living in the dingy place made me realize how much better it was, not having to watch my every move in fear of my mother.

I visited her once, but it was brief. The room we met in had white walls and a wooded floor, with ten medal benches that were cold and hard. Guards stood by each entrance, watching us closely.

"Hi," her voice was quiet as I sat. Her eyes were rimed with red, and her hair was shorter-falling just above her shoulders. Her face was wiped clean of all makeup. She had on white clothes and a sweet smile.

"Hey," I had said.

We talked for a couple of minutes, until one of the guards told me I had to leave. I did as they said, not glancing back at her as I left.

I was sad that she is sick, but so am I, so I can't judge.

I scanned my shelf for a book to read, before deciding that I didn't want to read, so I texted Louis.

'Hey'

I laid down on my bed and stared at the ceiling.

'hi'

My phone buzzed against my chest. I typed a response, and Louis replied in an instant. He always replied to my texts, always.

.

*

.

Louis handed me a piece of tape, and I placed it on the streamer, letting it hang above the door.