N I N T E E N | A L T E R C A T I O N

Altercation: Any physical interaction between two or more opposing players that results in a penalty (or penalties) being assessed.

Xavier skated around the ice while watching the rest of his teammates get off. Coach Reed was talking quietly to a few guys in the corner but besides them, it was only him on the ice. He pushed himself around the pylons, trying to navigate his way with the puck on his stick.

He was fast, but some of the other guys were faster. There were a bunch of pucks laid out on the ice and Xavier practiced taking shots. It wasn't as helpful without a goalie, but he was able to direct the puck to different areas of the net. His slapshot was good, but he needed to practice tip-ins. The boys in the league were slowly starting to catch up and blocking his lanes. In fact, Xavier had been on somewhat of a scoring drought. Six games had went by and he was unable to register a point. It was frustrating, and so he was taking that anger and challenging it into practice in order to get better.

Xavier slapped the puck towards the net, but it just went of the crossbar. He tried once more and the second time it hit the other post. He grinded his teeth in frustration and looked at his stick. What the hell was wrong with it? He was so focused on the net that he didn't know that Coach Reed had skated behind him.

"Take a deep breath," he said.

Xavier wanted to snap at him, but at the last moment refrained from doing so. He did as he asked yet still missed the net. He could feel Coach Reed analyzing him and his posture.

"Are you sure you're only focused on hockey?" he asked lightly but Xavier's body froze.

"What do you mean?" he asked.

The coach looked conflicted. "I've heard that you've been spending a lot of time with Rosaura."

Xavier's entire body tensed more if that was possible. "What does that have to do with anything?"

Coach sighed. "Nothing son, just remember girls will come and go. But you only have one shot of making it big—don't waste it."

Xavier had never fought with his coach but something inside him was willing to go head to head with Coach Reed. "Girls do come and go," he said in a deathly soft voice, "but not this one. Frankly, what I do off the ice is none of your business."

Before his coach could say anything else, Xavier skated off the ice in frustration. He heard his coach sigh behind him, but he didn't care. It was true, Rosaura was the best thing that happened to him and he would not let anyone say anything else.

--------------

Rosaura kept staring at him. At first, he ignored it, but once he saw felt her gaze every time he turned around, he couldn't help but ask her, "Do I have something on my back?"

She shook her head and immediately looked away, probably embarrassed about being caught.

He took a seat beside her, "Something must be wrong. You've been staring at me ever since we started putting up the tree."

They sat in silence for a moment but then she looked up at him with her inky black eyes, and he felt as though she was peering deep inside her soul.

"Did something happen at practice today?"

Xavier almost jumped when her fingers landed on top of his. He didn't know how she knew, but she did. "It was nothing serious," he began. "Coach and I just exchanged some words."

Rosaura looked up at him. She didn't believe a single word he was saying. "You've been tense as soon as I saw you. It must be something big."

Xavier wanted to tell he, but he was afraid it would make her grow distant and agree with the Coach's words. He was afraid of being alone. Yes, he had his family and teammates but when he retuned to his apartment, it was dark and lonely. So instead, he plastered on a false smile.

"Let's finish the tree and get to the present." he suggested, although it was more of a declaration than a suggestion he supposed.

Rosaura gave him one last glance before she began helping him with the various ornaments. He was glad that she decided to drop the subject. He didn't want to hurt her feelings by saying anything wrong. Xavier watched as she struggled to reach the top of his tree. With a smile tugging on his mouth, he lifted her gently and she squealed before hanging the ornament.

She gave him a light punch on the shoulder, "you know I almost fell over?"

He looked her in the eye, "I would never let you fall." he said seriously.

Rosaura looked like she was going to say something else but decided against it. For the next couple of minutes, they worked on the tree in mostly silence. Occasionally, they would tease one another or talk about mundane things but Xavier found that the silence with Rosaura was special as well.

"The tree looks beautiful." Rosaura said, stepping back to admire her work.

Xavier took a long look at the tree to see that Rosaura was right. Although he was not the best decorator, Rosaura had insisted on a theme that would match the rest of his apartment. So, she had bought him white ornaments that went well with the dark mahogany floors.

"It's nice that I was able to decorate at least one tree before I left." Rosaura commented casually.

Xavier looked up at her and smiled. "I'm glad you did mine, or else it would be looking terrible on Christmas."

Rosaura grinned. "I know it would. Why do you think I decided to take matters into my own hands?"

Xavier laughed with her before grabbing the present he had stuffed behind the sofa. He held out to her, "This is your Christmas present. I'm giving it to you now since you won't be here for Christmas."

Rosaura's eyes lit up before she pulled him into a tight hug. "Thank you."

"You're thanking me before seeing the present? It could be a lump of coals for are you know..."

Rosaura hushed him before opening the wrapping paper. Xavier was extremely nervous. He didn't know if she would like the present or not. He had decided not to go the materialistic route for the present because he knew how much she cared for homemade things.

Rosaura pulled out the mason jar that was glowing from the fairy lights placed inside it. In it, were slips of paper in which he had written their favourite memories or things he liked about her. Xavier had decorated each piece of paper in a unique way before folding it into tiny stars. He watched as she opened one. Her smile softened, and she looked up at Xavier with a tender expression.

He didn't know what it was, but he would latter come to know that she had looked at him with love. And he had returned it. 

---------------

This chapter ends on such a sweet note! If you guys are enjoying, please remember to vote and give me feedback please :)