T W E N T Y - F O U R | K I S S 'N' C R Y (I)

Kiss 'n' cry: the area in an ice rink where figure skater wait for their marks to be announced after their performances during a competition.

Rosaura made sure that her costume was buttoned up from the back. The last thing she wanted was to flash someone at the most important competition of her life. Beside her, Val was also tinkering with his costume. His clothing was quite simple—a navy blue dress shirt and black slacks. They went well with her costume—a deep navy-blue sweetheart neckline dress with diamonds beaded at the column and the cut between her chest that went all the way to her navel. Sheer paneling provided her with more modesty.

She stretched her body like a lazy cat. There was a couple on the ice right now and they would be the next to go. Tightening her laces one more, Rosaura glanced at Val to see him stiff and unmoving. She placed a gentle hand on his shoulder. "Relax, you're too tense."

He fixed her with an unhappy smile. "You think I don't know that?"

She took his hand. "Whatever happens, it's the two of us against the world." she said softly.

His grasped her hands and nodded. "Now, or never."

There names were announced over the intercom and the two of them stepped out of the tunnel and onto the ice. Rosaura could vaguely see her coaches standing and clapping for the two of them. Val and Rosaura made it to the centre of the ice before waiting for the music to lead them into the most important event of their lives.

--------------

Rosaura knew there was a slight stumble on her part. It was not very noticeable, but in a time where judges could review their moves and see the technical elements of everything they did, a stumble was something they would spot easily. Val and her were seated in the kiss and cry waiting for their results. Both Marceau and Laura, their coaches engulfed them on either side.

Laura rubbed her arm on Rosaura's shoulder comfortingly. "It wasn't a bad skate."

Rosaura shook her head, "but it could have been better."

Val held her hand tightly as the score was announced.

67.81.

Good enough for fifth. The cameras panned to them to see their reaction. Rosaura plastered a smile for the crowd as her and Val blew them kisses. 

Marceau lead them to the back of the training room. "Not bad for your first time." 

But Rosaura didn't want to hear that, she wanted to reach the Olympics and only by placing in the first three positions could they do that.

"Our free dance needs to be perfect." Val said from beside her.

She nodded. "No mistakes, its time for us to chase the Olympics and get the Gold medal."

Her coaches smiled. "That's exactly what we want to hear." Laura said before pulling her into a comforting hug. Rosaura returned it. Tomorrow was even a bigger day for the both of them and she wouldn't let down Val as she had done today. There was no place for mistakes. Only perfection was required from the two of them and she would give it—or die trying.

--------------

Sorry, this chapters extremely short but I needed to split it into two parts since it wasn't quite flowing together.