Chapter 10

Chapter 10

If Drew had to pick one word to sum up how his morning went, it would be weird. It was as though somehow Madeleine had heard his thoughts of not wanting to be the ‘other man’ and was subconsciously attempting to change his mind. To top it off, his best friend was being weird.

---

As soon as Drew stepped out of the shower, a beautiful aroma wafted into his nose. Breakfast. How long had it been since he’d eaten a proper breakfast and not just childish cereals or coffee? Much too long. His stomach growled as his nose matched the smells to what the food would be. He could smell fried eggs, bacon and sausages and immediately his mouth watered. He dried himself quickly before grabbing the first clean top and bottoms he could find in his wardrobe. He threw on his old Blink-182 shirt, pulled on a new pair of boxers before stepping into his black jogging bottoms. After breakfast he’d go home and dress more appropriately for work.

He left his room, walking quickly and quietly down the stairs to the location where the delicious aroma had diffused from. He entered the kitchen, expecting to see his Mama stood behind the stove. Surprisingly, it wasn’t his Mama doing the cooking, it was Madeleine. His eyes widened but before he could escape the kitchen, she had turned around.

“Bonjour.” She greeted softly before turning back to the stove.

“Bonjour Madeleine.” He greeted back. Well, he had no other choice. It looked like he was going to have to sit at the breakfast bar or he would have to flee the kitchen, looking stupid. He decided to sit and make conversation, “So did you, uh, have fun last night?” Since when did he hesitate when speaking to a woman? He wasn’t a teenager; he could talk to a woman very well.

“Wh- what do you mean?” She turned around suddenly, blushing slightly. He knew exactly what she was thinking about but that’s not exactly what he meant.

“I meant did you have fun with the girls?” He rephrased. She looked back at him; bit her bottom lip slightly as she flushed even more. He knew that she knew that he knew where her train of thoughts were. That train definitely wasn’t parked in Innocent Station.

“Yeah, your sisters are amazing.” She turned back to the stove, focusing on flipping the pancakes in the frying pan.

“What about Cass? How’d you guys get on?” He watched her carefully and noticed how her actions froze for a second when he asked that question before they resumed.

“Well… She didn’t seem to like me very much.” She told him hesitantly, “How many pancakes would you like?” She changed the subject quickly.

“Six please and why not?” It probably would be best to hear it from Madeleine before Cassie twisted the story to tell him.

“Okay and I’m not really sure.” She was lying. He didn’t know how he knew but he knew that she was.

“Madeleine-” He turned her around to face him.

“Maddie. Call me Maddie. Everyone calls me Maddie.”  She interrupted.

“Madeleine-” He began again. This time she wasn’t the one that interrupted him; the sound of feet running down the stairs interrupted him.

“I smell pancakes!” James entered the kitchen with his usual boisterous energy. Immediately Madeleine turned back to the stove and Drew took a step back. Drew scowled, knowing that the moment was officially gone, before taking a deep breath in.

“Morning James.” He greeted civilly.

“Morning cous!” James greeted back with ten times more energy than Drew. When his eyes rested on Madeleine, he practically skipped over to her, “And good morning to you Maddie! Sweet! You’re making pancakes! You’re awesome!” He pressed his lips against her cheek and Drew felt his nose flare with anger. Wait… Was he actually getting jealous? Nope, no he wasn’t. Not at all.