Chapter 35: Deal

“Yeah, if we do really well on our English oral and you don’t feel as nervous as you usually do or what ever then you audition for the show. If we fail epically or you get so nervous you can’t even speak properly then you don’t try out," he said, taking one hand off my thigh to hold it out to me.

I mulled it over for a moment, “Fine,” I sighed, taking his hand and shaking it.

“You know,” he said as I settled back against his chest, “We make a lot of deals.”

I chuckled, “True.”

In the distance I heard a car pull into the driveway, and we both froze. I heard doors opening and slamming shut and then the sound of the front door opening.

“Shoot! Wyatt you have to hide or leave or something!” I said, scrambling off the bed.

He slid off the bed and grabbed my arms, “Relax will you?” he said, making a face at me.

I took a deep breath before exhaling slowly as he ran his hands down my arms to hold my hands.

“As much as I’m dying to spend the night, I have to be home tonight,” he said, kissing my forehead. “But if anything happens, anything at all, call me, okay?” he pressed his forehead against mine and I closed my eyes with a sigh.

“Okay,” I said as I heard footsteps coming up the stairs. I opened my eyes as Wyatt pulled away. He started walking towards my window, before he hesitated and walked back. He wrapped his arms tightly around me.

“Goodnight,” he whispered, kissing my temple as he pulled away again.

“Goodnight,” I said, watching him go. He slid my window open before jumping out. I shut the window behind him. Footsteps came down the hall and I jumped into bed, flicking off the lamp. My bedroom was plunged in darkness as I pretended to be asleep.

I heard my door open and recognized my dad’s heavy footsteps as he tried to walk quietly into my room. He touched my forehead for a moment, probably checking for a fever, before he kissed my forehead and left, closing the door behind him.

I opened my eyes, staring at the darkness of my room. I rolled onto the side of my bed that Wyatt had been lying on, inhaling his scent deeply from the pillow.

For the first night in what felt like a long time, I felt calm, even if I was alone. So with Wyatt’s scent swirling around me, I fell asleep.

 ********

I tugged anxiously on a strand of my hair since my lip was still busted from Saturday and it hurt to bite it. Wyatt cast me a sidelong glance, raising his eyebrows at me curiously.

I shook my head as the teacher stood up at the front of the class.

“Alright everyone, you’ve had a bit of a…extension for this project. Much more than you should have, so I’m hoping that you got all your projects done,” Mrs. Steel said, looking around the room.

“Miss! We’re not finished!” one group called out. A few more groups called the same thing, and I raised my eyebrows.

“Who here is finished?” Mrs. Steel asked, and Wyatt and I raised our hands. We looked around the room and found we were the only ones who were finished. Wow. Was everyone just slacking or were we just extra studious? 

The teacher sighed, “Well, you guys have two options then. You can either present today or present next class when hopefully everyone else will be finished, and today you’ll just have a free period.”

“Actually,” Wyatt said, smirking at me before glancing back up at the teacher, “We’d like to present today if that’s alright.”

Even though I told myself not to, I bit down on my lip in irritation and glared at Wyatt. Pain in my ass.