T W E N T Y N I N E

On Saturday morning, I woke up in Theo's bed. My arms were wrapped around his delicate frame, his body curled in on mine, seeking protection. The stuffed snake was sandwiched between us, the synthetic fur stained white and black, it's shining button eyes staring up at me. I glanced across the room, my gaze landing on the real snake. Luckily, Theo had covered the tank before we went to sleep, just like last time. But the thought of it writhing around and hissing at me couldn't be covered by a thin sheet of fabric.

Just the thought of being in the same room as that thing was starting to creep me out. I could feel it slithering over my skin, sneaking up my clothes, wrapping around my limbs. I could picture it sinking it's fangs into me, watching with a twisted smirk as I bled to death. I shuddered, slipping out of my boyfriend's arms as I crossed the room, ignoring the stacks of pharmaceuticals and refillable prescriptions sitting on his nightstand.

I spared Theo one last endearing glance, smiling softly. Everything about him made my heart clench in happiness. His smile, his laugh, his voice, his blush. Even the way he was sleeping. His silky hair was falling over his face, his lashes long and thick without the restraints of his glasses - which were sitting on his bedside table with his pills. The only thing that made me frown was the bandage wrapped around his wrist, creeping up his forearm. The white material was peeking out of his sleeve, making it minutely visible. And yet, it still inflated that emotion of guilt and sadness in my chest.

I sighed heavily, forcing myself out of the room, making sure to shut the door quietly behind me before descending the stairs. I wasn't planning on leaving yet, I was actually thinking of keeping Theo company today. I was almost reluctant to leave him alone at the moment. But I couldn't stay in that room any longer, not with the savage monster of an animal staring at me through Theo's favourite jumper, planning its merciless attack.

When I reached the kitchen, I froze in the doorway, coming face to face with both of Theo's parents, buttering slices of toast and sipping on coffee as they talked amongst themselves. I'd only had a few conversations with either of them and I'd certainly never been alone with them. This was going to be awkward. "M-Morning." I cleared my throat from embarrassment.

"Oh, Luca, hi." Ms Hart smiled brightly once her eyes landed on me, "Teddy texted us last night to say you were staying over, sorry we were so late home. This one wanted to stop for McDonald's on the way back." She added, jerking her head towards her husband.

"Can I get you something to eat?" He chipped in.

"No thanks, Mr Hart." I rejected politely.

"Please, call me John." He waved his hand playfully.

"And it's Eliza." Ms Hart interjected, "Did you and Teddy have a nice night?"

I nodded, "Yeah, it was good." I said briefly.

"We're so glad Teddy has someone looking out for him."

I frowned, "Yeah, uh..." I scratched the back of my neck nervously, "He's a good friend."

They exchanged a knowing look as I leant against the counter opposite them, "It's alright, Luca." John chuckled, "We already know that you two are together."

My eyes widened for a second as I tried to comprehend the situation, opening my mouth to argue, "Oh...um...yeah, well..." My cheeks reddened, "He told you?"

Eliza laughed, "Milo did."

My brows rose in surprise, "Milo?"

And that was the moment when Milo decided to enter the kitchen himself, stretching his arms above his head and yawning loudly. When his eyes met mine, he sighed, "What are you doing here?"

"He stayed the night." Eliza informed him.

"Of course he did." Milo rolled his eyes, crossing the room to make himself a cup of coffee. "How's the chlamydia?"

"I don't have chlamydia-"

"Leave him be, Milo." John scolded his son.

Suddenly, being snuggled in bed, wrapped up in Theo's embrace didn't seem like the bad choice, even if I had to endure the snake. Damnit, why did I even come downstairs in the first place?

And just when I thought the kitchen couldn't get anymore crowded, Theo joined the scene, tugging his sleeves over his wrists as he smiled shyly at his family, "M-Morning."

Eliza stepped forward ruffle his hair endearingly, "Take your meds and have something to eat." She ordered, "We're heading out soon, but I left you some sauce in the fridge if you want pasta for lunch."

Theo pushed her hand away, nodding understandingly, "Okay." He mumbled.

"Alright, honey." She shoved a packet of pills into his hand, "Two now and two with lunch." She instructed, "I'm sure your boyfriend will remind you if you forget." She winked.

Theo's eyes widened, his face paling, "M-My boyfriend?"

"Yeah, sorry." Milo chuckled. "I might've told them."

"Milo." Theo scolded angrily, "Y-You promised not say anything!"

"Oh, Teddy, come on." Milo gestured to me, "He's a prick."

"I'm standing right here." I told Milo bluntly.

He ignored me, still facing his brother, "I mean...if people find out, it's kinda your own fault for choosing someone so..." He squinted at me, searching his brain for the right word, "You know?"

"I don't actually." Teddy crossed his arms over his chest challengingly.

"Right." John clapped loudly, breaking up the conversation. "We're off."

"Ooh, can you drop me off at Mercy's on the way?" Milo pleaded, already starting to tug his shoes on.

They rolled their eyes in unison but agreed nonetheless. After they had all said their goodbyes and Theo's Mum had given him another reminder to take his pills and call her if he didn't feel well, they all left. And it was silent.

"I'm sorry." Theo blurted out once we were alone, turning to face me as he fiddled with his thumbs, "A-About last night. I-I know I'm fucked up and I swear I'm working on it. You sh-shouldn't have to put up with that type of shit, I'm sorry. I...I should've told you. B-Better yet, I shouldn't have done it at all." He sighed deeply, finally making shy eye contact with me.

"Theo." I smiled sadly, interlocking our fingers. "Don't apologise, it's not your fault. Don't say that stuff, okay? No one's forcing me to be here, I'm choosing to be. I want to be with you."

He nodded, standing on his tiptoes to plant his lips over mine. It was a brief, sweet kiss, but it was enough. He took his pills afterwards, and I wondered how long this had been going on. "D'you wanna stay?" He asked shyly, "I-I mean, I get it if you need to go home, but-"

"I'd love to." I cut him off, grinning down at him, "Let's finish that shitshow of a movie."