Chapter Seven

Tyler |

Staring over the sea of rooftops, contemplatively watching birds fly by as a gentle cool breeze brushed against my cheeks and hair, I sat sighing tiredly.

With my palms grazing against the hard surface of the tiles beneath me, I brought my fingers to my legs to let them run along the length of my ankles and feet as I sat forward.

Staring up into the space above me, becoming slightly enthralled with the crawling clouds, I noticed how their dark and light colored bodies changed in shape and occasionally dissipated into nothingness.

My phone vibrated next to me, but I ignored it, leaning against my chimney to watch the trees sway in the wind, their leaves troubled by uncontrollable forces... just as me.

I was skipping school.

I couldn't bring myself to face Natalie or any of my friends for that matter.

Being on the roof is the only place I thought would be quiet enough for me to escape everyone, including my parents.

Growing anxious as the front door had just been pushed shut, I laid flat on my back to stare up at the sky, avoiding getting noticed.

I began to come to the conclusion that I was slowly loosing my mind.

Coming to the conclusion that I couldn't run from myself forever, I was both mentally and physically exhausted at the thought, the thought that eventually everything would have to be revealed making it all the worse.

Greyson |

Driving over to Ellie's house to pick him up for school, I felt that it was more like a choice than an obligation.

He hadn't asked me to come pick him up, but I couldn't just let him ride to school with his brother again.

As soon as I pulled into his driveway, I could see his brother leaving the house, slamming the door behind him with his clothes tattered and stained with blood.

Eyeing me discombobulated, he didn't come over to shoo me away but jumped into his truck to leave instead.

Frowning, I waited for him to disappear down the road before I stepped out of the car to jog to the front door.

I knocked, but even after a few minutes, but no one answered.

Apprehensively trying the knob, I found that the door was unlocked which led to me letting myself in.

Walking into a mess, I instantly grew even more anxious; there were beer bottles everywhere and even broken glass where I assumed a coffee table would be.

The television had a large crack in its screen traveling down from the top to the bottom.

Stepping over a few pizza boxes, I called out Ellie's name.

He didn't respond.

Quickly ascending the stairs, I stopped at the nearest door and knocked.

"Ellie... are you in there? It's me... Greyson," I said plainly, trying to hide the urgency in my voice.

Walking a bit ahead after getting no response, I halted in my tracks when the door opened, making me turn around.