Chapter Eight

Greyson |

"Yes... I'm driving behind the ambulance now. Do you want me to come pick you up? Okay... okay, I'll just keep following them then. I don't know Gen... I hope it isn't going to be anything permanent. Yea... I'll see you there."

The extremely loud sound of the ambulance's sirens was almost unbearable, but I forced myself to stay focused on staying right behind Ellie.

I knew something would happen... if only I had forced him not to practice.

He probably wouldn't have listened anyway, he's so headstrong.

That damn Ace... fucking asshole.

I hope Coach benches him, because when I tell him that it was on purpose...

Shaking my head slowly, I tightly shut my eyes in frustration for a brief moment.

No... I can't do that. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Maybe I should leave it up to Ellie; if he wants to tell, then I'll be behind him one hundred percent.

But I know for a fact that Ace meant for this to happen.

Forget it.

All that matters is if Ellie is going to be able to play after his leg heals... if it isn't as bad as I'm hoping that it isn't.

...

Running after the medics into the hospital, I was stopped in my tracks by one of them.

He, as calm as he could, turned and held out a hand, gesturing for me to stop.

"Hey... you have to stay back. Stay in here," he said quickly before he ran after the others.

I reluctantly turned away from him as he disappeared behind a set of doors and found a seat next to the entrance, sitting forward to prop up my chin.

If anything life altering happens to Ellie... and his ability to walk... I... this is my fault.

Sighing deeply, I began to tap my foot impatiently.

The doors to the hospital were swung open as Genevieve ran in to briefly look around the room until her eyes fell on me.

Seeming to calm herself down, she walked over and sat next to me, leaning forward to stare at me incredulously.

"What happened," she whispered.

I shook my head.

She gently placed her hand on my back to rub her palm in small circles, promoting me to look at her.

Her firm expression overpowered my feelings as she wasn't going to take silence for an answer.

"Please," she demanded.

"Ace," I mumbled after a while.

She narrowed her eyes.

"Ace?"

I nodded, looking away to hear her shift next to me.