Chapter Twenty Two

Chewing slowly with growing perplexity showing in her furrowed eyebrows, Genevieve's gaze never faltered, intently staring at me as if I had just given her the hardest riddle she's ever heard in her life.

She shifted uncomfortably in her seat, unintentionally bumping into my knee under the cafeteria table with a contemplative hum.

I tried to read her incredibly indecipherable, contorting expression but couldn't exactly pin point what she could possibly be thinking.

What sounded like the crunching of ice near my ear prompted me to glance to my right to see Ellie looking at me with the same intense confusion as he chewed, bringing me to sigh.

"That's a weird dream if I ever heard one man," Ellie finally uttered between chews. "And you haven't told Tyler... asked him what he thinks?"

I shook my head, biting my lip at the thought.

Sighing, Genevieve stole my attention as I looked over to see her narrowed eyes leering at me with what seemed like a hint of confirmation that she was finally going to say something.

"So you're saying that you think this dream might be a sign," she asked, reiterating what I told her a few minutes ago.

I nodded tiredly.

"I think so... I mean... the trail, the sky... and the storm," I began thoughtfully, gesticulating. "I-I just don't like what all happened in the dream, it's all strange."

"Well hey, Natalie is an evil witch, so I wouldn't be surprised if she did try anything. But I just don't understand why she would when she's with Ace now," Gen whispered, waving at the air in a disregarding manner.

"But hey, maybe you're right," she continued with a frown.

"Some say that dreams are reflective of what could possibly happen in the future; I mean... some people have a sort of seeing gift or something of that nature, but that could just be folklore. Dreams can also be driven by desires... what you've seen throughout the day maybe," she mumbled seriously, trying to get a better understanding.

"But it all sounded as if it could be a deep poem... ya know, how the once calm scenery turned into a raging storm and how you couldn't hear yourself screaming at first but... then right before you woke up, you actually could hear yourself scream. Mmm... sounds symbolic... artistic in a way," she whispered, seeming to get lost in her own thoughts.

"Well all I know is, artistic or not, the dream is weird and sort of specific or whatever; I wouldn't just ignore it," Ellie chimed in with a shrug, taking in another breath to speak.

"And things happen, you've seen how manipulative the girl can be. She might not care about that sort of thing," he added, gesturing at Genevieve. "Being with one and only one person might not be how she rolls... but who knows, she might try and dig her little manicured claws into–"

Tyler sat down beside me with a bounce and gently kissed my cheek with a grin, unknowingly interrupting a sort of book club session for weird dreams.

Looking around at our dismayed expressions, he seemed to realize that the chatter among us stopped... yet held the same cheerful grin with added curiosity in his wondering eyes.