Chapter 3: Almost Slipping Up

Marinette and Dawson looked at each other wide eyed, then back at Basil. Astonished to see him how he was before he burst though the door and now. Quickly he pulled a dressing gown off a dart, then threw the dart over his shoulder getting a perfect bullseye.

"Mr Basil I am in need of..." Said Marinette before she was cute off by the detective.

"All in good time my dear" Interrupted Basil as he guided her aside and walked right by her and over to his chemistry equipment.

"Please Sir it is rather important... and..." Before Marinette could even finish again Basil shushed her and continued tinkering around with a bullet.

"This mouse is more arrogant then I imagined" Thought Marinette as she glanced over towards Dawson, giving him a slight confused look and shrugging her shoulders slightly.

"Now... now see here this young lady is in need of some assistance" Said Dawson in an irritated tone as he started waving his finger towards Basil, who was clearly not interested in anything he had to say.

"All in good time... now can you hold this for me doctor?" Replied Basil as he handed Dawson the same gun he came barging in with.

"Of course... wait how did you know I was a doctor?" Asked Dawson as he looked towards Basil, am astonished look covered his face.

"It's actually quite obvious... you've stitched your torn jacket with a lambert stitch... which only a doctor would use... and it had a specific aroma due to the material it's made out of which is cat gut" Interrupted Marinette now regretting opening her mouth and speaking about her knowledge in the medical industry.

"I'm an actual idiot... now what am I going to do?" Thought Marinette as he mind started trying to think of a way she could cover up how she knew Dawson was a doctor.

"That's rather strange no normal mouse would have that kind of knowledge" Thought Basil as a skeptical look covered his face, looking at Marinette's face trying to see if she was hiding anything.

"How do you have that kind of knowledge my dear?" Asked Dawson amazed by the fact she could tell he was a doctor without him even telling her.

"Over the years I've read quite a lot of books in a verity of topics" Replied Marinette as she let her mind slightly relax, happy with the response she had come up with.

In actuality it wasn't a lie it was the truth but she'd also learnt from some of her friends as well. Which she didn't want to mention.

"Also Basil... the gun you've asked Dawson to hold which is a revolver and the bullet you grabbed from that box... they aren't going to match... that's a handgun bullet so the indentations from when a bullet is fired won't be the same" Continued Marinette now realising what she'd said as her mind became slightly panicked.

"Well done me... I've just gone and signed my death wish" Thought Marinette as her mind started racing with all different things... there was no way she could hide it this time.

"Something's off... the medical information is understandable but this gun information... now there's something shifty with this girl" Thought Basil as he became skeptical of the girl standing in front of him.

"May I ask how you know this much about guns?" Asked Basil as he raised an eyebrow, becoming slightly curious as to how she had so much information.

"Like I said I've read many books over the years" Repeated Marinette hoping that it would be enough to convince the detective otherwise.

"I see" Said Basil in a skeptical tone as he looked up and down at Marinette, inspecting every inch of her.

"Try it... fire one from the gun and compare it to the bullet in box" Replied Marinette as she crossed her arms over her chest, a slight agitated look covered her face.

"Very well" Said Basil as he grabbed the gun from Dawson's hands, then rushed over to the sofa and grabbed some cushions.

Like lightning Basil threw the cushions one at a time onto the high back chair. Before Basil could fire the bullet Dawson and Marinette took cover behind the sofa. BANG! Suddenly there was a explosion of feathers everywhere and buried among them was Basil looking for the bullet. Like lightning the kitchen door opened to reveal a stunned Mrs Judson.

"Mr Basil what have I told you..." Started Mrs Judson in an angry tone, but before she could finish Basil interrupted her.

"Yes, Yes, Yes" Said Basil as placed his hands on Mrs Judson's shoulders, smelling the aroma coming from the kitchen.

"I do believe I smell your wonderful tea... why don't you fetch our guests some?" Continued Basil as he gently pushed Mrs Judson towards the kitchen and before she could retaliate he closed the door.

Marinette glanced down and saw the bullet right next to her. She picked it up as her and Dawson stood up from behind the sofa. Leaning over the back she saw Basil with his head under the sofa looking for the bullet. Marinette coughed to get his attention to which he immediately looked up. Basil saw her waving the bullet back and forth slightly.

"Thank you Miss..." Said Basil as he grabbed the bullet, unsure of what her name actually was.

"Marinette Flaversham" Replied Marinette as she held her hand out waiting for Basil to give it a shake.

Gently he grabbed her hand and gave it a light shake. Quickly Basil hurried to his chemistry equipment and placed the bullet into a microscope.

"That's a beautiful name for such a girl" Thought Basil as he grabbed the bullet from the box and started to compare the two of them together.

To Basil's dismay the bullets didn't match. He sighed throwing the bullet he fired from the gun over his shoulder. Placing his hands on the edge of the table looking down.

"Mr Basil... will you just hear me out... a few hours ago my father was kidnapped... I came to you hoping to get help... but now I see I came to the wrong detective" Said Marinette in an almost pleading tone as she looked towards Basil hoping he would say something.

"Take a seat and explain everything to me... don't leave out any details everything is important" Replied Basil as he stood up straight and gestured for Marinette to take a seat on the sofa.

"Thank you" Said Marinette as she gave him a small smile and took a seat on the sofa close to the fire while Basil took a seat opposite her on the high back chair.