Chapter 9: Decipher The Code

Marinette was still clutching onto Basil's jacket, shaking slightly as fear still coursed through her veins. Basil held Marinette close to his chest, hoping she would calm herself down. Dawson was gazing at the pair of them, a soft smile spread across his lips. Gradually he started walking over to them, crunching something under his foot in the process. Carefully he lent down and grabbed a piece of paper, his eyes scanning over the paper.

"Get the following... Tools... Gears... Uniform... Girl" Mumbled Dawson as he continued to read the piece of paper in front of his eyes, Marinette and Basil heard Dawson mumbling and went over to him.

Basil looked over Dawson's shoulder reading the words splattered on the paper. Swiftly he snatched the piece of paper out of Dawson's hand and gave it a light smack.

"Dawson you've done it old fellow" Said Basil in a triumphant tone as he quickly rushed towards a set of toys, descending like a staircase near the entrance they came in.

"Quickly you two back to Baker Street" Shouted Basil as he flung the glass panel open, jumping through and out onto the ledge where Toby was still waiting.

Dawson and Marinette exchanged confused looks before rushing down the same staircase Basil did. Swiftly making their way towards the entrance where the detective was waiting for them. Dawson steadily got onto Toby's back, while Basil helped Marinette onto Toby's nose. Once they were all on Toby howled and started charging through the streets of the early London morning.

Meanwhile down in the London sewers. Jack and Fidget had just arrived back to Ratigan's lair. Fidget collapsed to the floor panting like a dog. Sweat was dripping down his face. Jack had both his hands on his knees, trying to catch his breath.

"Woah I never knew Marinette was amazing with guns... she's almost like another version of London" Thought Jack as he pulled his top hat off, wiping away the few droplets on his forehead.

"Ah Boys you're back already" Said a voice from the entrance of Ratigan's lair, footstep echoing in the surrounding.

"Yes Boss" Replied Jack as he stood up straight, placing his top hat back on his head with a smirk plastered across his face.

Ratigan strolled over towards Jack and Fidget, sticking his head in the bag looking at the items inside. He chuckled as he lifted his head back out of the sac.

"Now you made sure you go everything on the list" Asked Ratigan as he lent over slightly, closing the space between him and the two lackeys in front of him.

"Yep... everything on the list" Replied Fidget as he spread his wing open gesturing towards the pocket which was empty, his eyes went wide with terror as he started searching for it.

"Where's the list?" Snapped Ratigan as he face started to turn red, his blood pressure rising to extremely high levels.

"Well you see... I was up on the roof and... and Basil was... was chasing Jack..." Stuttered Fidget as he threw his wings about trying to recreate an image of what had happened.

"What... Basil is on the case" Snapped Ratigan as he stood up looming over the lair of them, his face red as a ruby.

"Was Flaversham's daughter with Basil?" Asked Ratigan as a plan started to form in his mind, a sinister smile plastered across his lip.

"Yes she was" Replied Jack not knowing what Ratigan was going to do if he managed to get Marinette, he remained strong and not let his emotions show through.

"Looks like this plan will work better than expected" Said Ratigan as a toothy grin formed in his face, tapping his fingers together knowing his plan was going better than expected.

Meanwhile back up on Baker Street. Basil, Dawson and Marinette were in Basil's home looking over the piece of paper left behind. Marinette was sitting on the high back chair by the burning fire. Dawson was sitting on the sofa reading the newspaper, both of them letting Basil do his work.

Marinette was glancing over towards Basil who was tinkering with his chemistry set up. Curiosity got the better of her as she stood up, walking over to Basil and watched him work. He placed the piece of paper under a microscope, fiddling with the setting trying to get a clear image.

"Coal dust... the kind mainly found in sewer lamps" Mumbled Basil as he gracefully grabbed the piece of paper, which waved in the light breeze as he lifted it.

Suddenly Marinette caught a familiar scent as Basil brought the piece of paper past her. Glancing over towards Basil now the other side of her.

"That piece of paper also has the remains of a drink called Rodents Delight coating it" Said Marinette as she looked up at Basil, a faint blush covering her cheeks.

"Thank you Miss Flaversham" Replied Basil as he glanced down at Marinette with a smile and a light blush covered his cheeks.

Marinette had her eyes fixed on Basil's movements. First destroying the piece of paper in a dish, pouring it into a beaker with water. The water turned a bright and vibrant red. Her eyes filled with fascination as she continued to watch him. Suddenly Basil set a little flame a light causing a green solution to start shooting through some tubes. A tiny drop hung just above the apple red water. Slowly the tiny green drop fell into the water casing a slight explosion and a reaction to occur.

"Salt water" Questioned Marinette as she glanced up at Basil, the look of curiosity clouded her eyes.

"Which means we are looking for a pub... where the sewers connect to the water front" Replied Basil as he walked over to a map plastered on the wall, a hand wrapped around his mouth while he scanned over the map.

Swiftly Marinette strolled over to Basil, grabbing a dart from the dart board. She only scanned over the map for a second before planting the dart firmly on the spot desired.

"There's a pub down there I spend many evenings there" Said Marinette as she took a couple of steps back, now realising what she'd just said.

"Why tell him you go there often?" Thought Marinette as her mind started racing, her heart was thumping like a stampede inside her.

"Now things aren't adding up... what is this girl hiding?" Thought Basil as he glanced over at Marinette, thinking of what to say next.

"I see... well we will go later tonight" Said Basil as he turned around to face Marinette, standing a couple of inches away from her hoping he could read any emotions in her eyes.

"You two are gonna need disguises if you want to blend in" Replied Marinette as she looked up at Basil, trying her best to hide the blush creeping on her face.

"I've got some back at home that you're welcome too" Continued Marinette as she looked over towards Dawson then back at Basil, a slight smile on her lips.