8.1. What Ariel Did Next: Part One

There is a saying in the Mythlands - 'Don't judge a book by it's cover and don't judge a character by anything other than their character.'

Wise words. Words that can keep you alive.

 The Court of Camelot - some years ago.

Bruin took the knee and bowed his head. 'Your majesty, we implore you. He was one of your own and this crime cannot go unpunished.'

King Arthur leaned forward. 'Aye Bruin and tis for that reason alone I agreed to receive thee, but think ye not to invoke the name of thy master. Camelot recognizes not the authority of thy Domain nor the shelled wretch who commands thee.'

'All we need is information Sire.' the large bear said softly. 'This is a private matter concerning two of your citizens.'

'Nay!' called out a flame haired woman from beside the throne. 'The girl forfeited her rights long ago.'

Arthur held up a hand. 'Good Gloriana, contain thyself. She awaits without so thine eyes need not be sullied. The ursine shows the proper respect and though my knight did long abandon us, yet I am inclined to aid their quest. Noble Bruin, tell my court how the lad was found.'

Big Bruin held out a box wrapped in black silks and tied with a red ribbon. 'This was delivered to a suite we were staying in, in Myth Vegas. It was accompanied by a bouquet of black roses and he was inside the box. They had cut his head off. She ... she was the one who opened the box. It was addressed to her.'

The King nodded in sympathy.'The lad did not deserve such an end and yet tis many decades since we parted ways. As ye know, Camelot and the Avalonian Realms such as Gloriana's Land of Faerie, resist the influx of the new modernity thy master promotes. We keep ourselves to ourselves.'

Bruin inclined his head again. 'The Tortoise respects that your Majesty. But yet we still have limited trade and your realm is hardly Narnia. I even hear you have a small tourist trade that shows every sign of growing.'

Arthur scowled. 'Aye, twas Merlin's idea and against mine own wishes the others on the Council of Arthurs did vote in favour of these matters. Or at least seven of us did and only three to say them nay. Yet today, tis I who hear thy petition.'

'Will you grant it Sire?'

The King considered. 'Aye. Gloriana, give the bear the names of those who had cause to harm our ex knight.'

Scowling, the Queen of Faerie wrote on a piece of paper and approached Bruin. 'Here. Tell the bitch I wish her only death in her quest. Now get thee gone.'

Bruin bowed and departed; he walked out of the castle and across the bridge, to where Ariel was waiting.

The six inch tall fairy looked at the paper and nodded. 'Tis as I suspected and by my troth my drops of sorrow be turned to thoughts of bloody vengeance gainst he who took my love.'

Bruin held out a furry forearm for Ariel to settle on. 'I'm with you partner. We'll get them. For Tom.'

'Aye. For Tom!' Ariel's face raged with fury for a moment but then she crumpled against his arm and began to weep into his dark fur.

Bruin cupped his right paw gently against her blonde hair and stood silently as the fey wept.