8 - Giving In

New update and almost a thousand reads! Wow! I'm so glad this book is actually getting read and people are liking it!

School starts soon for me so updates might be a little slower, but I'll try not to let that happen. I have a pretty good schedule:)

Thanks so much to everyone that's been voting and commenting! It means a lot!
xo

|Chapter Eight|

I'm washing the dishes as Knox dries them next to me. I started on the breakfast, but he insisted that I let him do some, if not most, of the work. There was no stopping him so we compromised.

"We should probably get out soon and work on some mobility exercises. You're making quick progress and I'd like to see how things are going compared to yesterday. Soon, I'll only need to make a couple visits here a week and you'll be all set," I tell him.

He nods, but I feel like there's sadness in his eyes. I'm probably just imagining it. Who'd get sad at news of good progress being made?

"Let's do the beach?" I ask, thinking that the uneven, loose sand will be an exercise in and of itself.

He nods.

I've been trying to gently reject him, but I can't just do it. I think a part of me wants to give us a shot. Jesus, who am I kidding? I know a part of me really wants to give us a chance. After the conversation with my father, most of my resolve broke. The wall that I've been building against Knox isn't holding up anymore.

He beckons me over to the couch after the dishes are done. I look at the cane resting against the couch. I'd gotten it from when Nina brought it over for me because Victoria wouldn't let me leave Knox. Bringing him to the office wouldn't have been easy either just because of all the paparazzi. So far it's been easy to keep them out because of the gates and precautions they've taken to ensure Knox's privacy.

     Knox sees my hesitation to come over and pats the couch, giving me an expectant look. I take a seat next to him.

"Do you need something?" I ask.

He points to me.

"Knox-"

He shakes his head to stop me.

"Then what?" I ask.

He brushes his thumb over my lips and taps my temple. After that, he shakes his head.

"You don't want me to think," I try to interpret him.

He nods.

"Knox, I-"

He kisses me before I can finish and he slides his palm to my jaw. I put a hand on his chest and lean into him. God, it feels so good, but...but what? My job? That was just an excuse from earlier. Victoria doesn't give a shit if I'm involved with him. If he's happier, hell, she'd probably encourage it. Why can't we do this? What's holding me back other than myself? My father's words ring through my ears, breaking away the last of my resolve.

Only then do I tell him the word he's been waiting for.

"Okay," I say, breaking away.

He gives me a look as if saying okay? Okay what?

"Let's give this a shot," I tell him.

He grins, making my heart skip a beat. No matter how many times I see him grin, I still can't get over how hot he is. I kiss him again and he smiles against my lips. Our mouths battle for dominance and his lips move gently against my own. He brings me onto his lap and I straddle his legs, bringing my arms to the nape of his neck. I break the kiss, leaning my forehead against his.