- Chapter 7 -

Songs of the chapter:
Masquerade - Ashley Tisdale
Talk That Talk - Rihanna
Hot - Avril Lavigne 

__________

We arrived at the beach house and since I was there last, it looked almost exactly the same. Windows surrounded the perimeter of the large one-story home, allowing us to have the perfect view of the water. It looked like someone could live here all year around because it was so well kept. Whitney's family had a lot of money, so it didn't surprise me at all.

Everyone picked rooms out of the three available. Two of the three consisted of two twin beds in each one while the last was one king sized bed. It was obvious that it was her parents' room.

Whitney and Kyle shared a room with twin beds because according to them, they always did. Alex and Robert shared a twin room for the same reason, leaving only Austin and I with Whitney's parents' room.

Of course that would happen to me.

Everyone else was in their rooms unpacking while Austin and I stood awkwardly about a foot away from each other.

"I'll take the couch in there," Austin declared, directing his head towards the room at the end of the hall and taking me by surprise. Honestly, I thought he was going to jump at the chance of sharing a room with me.

Feeling guilty, I stopped him by placing my hand over his chest, causing him to look up at me. "No, that's okay. I'll take it."

He shook his head in disagreement and moved his eyes to the couch that was placed by the large windows to look out at the beach behind me. It was kind of like a family room except for the fact that all of the furniture was arranged around the view rather than a television set like in the room in the front of the house. So, technically, there were two family rooms.

"Really, it's fine. I don't mind," He retorted.

Before I could retaliate again, he pushed passed me and went to the isolated room at the very end of the hallway. I bit my lip as I watched him sigh and bury his hands in his pockets, his eyes focused on the wooden floors beneath us.

Saying I felt bad would be an understatement. But of course I wasn't going to show him any sympathy. He never showed it to me until recently, so why should I with him?

That's right. I shouldn't.

Pressing my lips together, I walked into the bedroom that would only be mine for the week. I wasn't complaining, but the guilt was tugging at my insides.

No, I thought. You hate him, Juliet. You hate him more than anything.

I sat on the same wooden flooring from the hallway that seemed to cover the entire house with my legs crossed over one another. I opened my suitcase and began placing my items in the white painted dresser that was provided.

I couldn't help but notice the change in Austin. I didn't know why he hadn't been flirting with me as much as usual, but I didn't like it. It was ruining the plans I had for him. In order to keep that in effect, he had to keep flirting with me.

Maybe I was being too harsh when I told him I didn't want him, I thought to myself. Could he have really taken something like that to heart?

Whatever the reason, I knew I would have to put my act into full force to get him to want me back.

* * *

"If you do it, I will," Whitney shrugged as she elevated her upper half with her elbows, her eyes on me. We were lying on the beach while the three boys were playing with a football somewhere off to the side.

"You want me to get my bellybutton pierced?" I asked, sounding shocked by her proposition. My parents would murder me if I ever did that.

I've always been a "Mommy and Daddy's girl" considering I had no one else growing up. I never even thought of doing anything to disappoint them because they were always so supportive of me through everything I did.

"Come on, it will be fun! We can go tomorrow on the boardwalk," Kyle added, pushing her sunglasses up a little due to the fact that they were slouching slightly.

Maybe it would be fun, I thought. I've never actually rebelled before, so maybe it would be something different.

I sucked my teeth and found myself shifting my gaze over to the boys. Specifically, Austin. I don't know why I did, but I did.

"Alright," I nodded, looking back at the two girls with pleading eyes. "I'll do it."

They both squealed in response, happy that they had the power to convince me to do something I normally wouldn't. They didn't have a major influence over me, and I had to be sure that that wouldn't happen again. Both of them definitely had some type of power over me back in elementary school and early middle school.

"This is going to be so much fun!" Kyle clapped her hands, flashing a perfect row of straight, white teeth.

I laughed and tugged at my pink bathing suit bottoms that started to move up a little bit. Never once did I think I could wear a bikini, but I did. And it actually looked good on me.

My skin was beginning to develop a slight tan due to the sun beating directly down on us. Usually, my skin doesn't tan, but it doesn't burn either. So, to see that I was getting some color kind of surprised me.

"To the left, there's a guy in navy blue shorts and dark brown hair," Whitney whispered into my ear, her eyes focused on whoever it was she was talking about. Nonchalantly, I turned my head to see the extremely attractive boy playing volleyball with a group of boys. "and he keeps looking at you."

I raised an eyebrow and turned back to Whitney, shrugging. "He's cute, I guess."

"You guess? Juliet, he's hot," She scoffed. I looked back over at him, examining as much of him as I could considering he was at a distance.

He was very dark. His skin was a deep tan, his hair a lightless brown. His muscles were visible from where I was sitting, including a set of defined abs. He was definitely the typical surfer guy.

After he served the ball, he looked at me and a soft smile formed on his lips. I smiled back and tossed him a flirty wave.

"Oh my god, Juliet, you need to go talk to him!" Kyle squeaked, leaning over Whitney and hitting my thigh excitedly.

I twisted my lips to the side and looked from the girls to the boy about a half of a football field away. I found myself looking over at Austin again. He had no idea what was going on because he was infatuated with his game. And surprisingly, he hadn't said anything about me wearing a bathing suit. That definitely had me confused.

Why is he acting like he wants nothing to do with me now? Maybe he doesn't like me anymore. Maybe he gave up already.

Before I could respond to Kyle, a shadow cast over me and I immediately looked up at the figure causing the sudden darkness.

It was none other than the cute boy playing volleyball who I'd just waved at. He must've taken it as an invitation over here.

Smiling, I removed my sunglasses and sat up.

He crouched down to my level, allowing me to see his extremely dark brown eyes that were almost black. There was no warmth to them at all. His smile said otherwise, though. His teeth were perfectly straight and white and his lips looked soft as they curved upward.

"Hey, I'm Colton," He greeted, looking from me, to Whitney, to Kyle, then back to me.

I smiled warmly and felt drawn to him right away.

"Hi, I'm Kyle!" Kyle waved, showing off her bubbly personality as soon as she could.

"I'm Whitney," Whitney smiled softly.

He nodded and then moved his eyes to mine. "And what about you?"

"Juliet," I said, my lips curving upward only a little.

"Beautiful name," Colton complimented. Usually, a girl would've been blushingly this point, but I was used to the compliments.

Obviously.

"Are you guys from around here?" He asked.

Whitney shook her head, then directed it behind us towards the house. "No, we're just staying in my beach house for a week."

"Oh," He nodded again. "Maybe I'll, uh, see you around then,"

Moving my eyes back to Austin, I saw that he was watching me now. I could almost feel his eyes burning holes into Colton's back.

So, he's not over it, I thought.

Nodding confidently but still nonchalantly, I said, "Maybe you will."

I shifted my eyes back to Colton, watching as he smirked and pushed himself up before walking back to his friends.

Austin watched him walk back, nothing but a scowl on his face. He looked back at me with a similar expression. I raised my eyebrow and sucked my teeth before putting my sunglasses over my eyes again and lying back down.

Kyle and Whitney began talking about something, but I found myself to be more interested in something-- or someone-- else. I could still feel Austin's eyes on me, stunned by the fact that I was even giving another guy attention. At school, I would ignore all of the boys. So, it was surprising to him that I would pay attention to any guy in that way.

I was beginning to grow tired of laying out in the sun, so I decided I would go inside for a while.

"I'll be right back," I announced, careless as to if either of the girls heard me. Pushing myself up, I brushed any sand off of me that managed to stick to me. Looking back at them, I saw that neither of them even noticed that I'd said anything.

Oh well, I thought to myself.

I picked up my towel and draped it over my forearm, deciding that I most likely wouldn't be coming back outside for a little while.

The sand was hot beneath my feet, but not hot enough to have to leap across it. It was comfortably warm.

When I pushed open the glass door, I shut it behind me and walked over to my room. I tossed my towel down on my mattress and let out an exhale.

I picked up my phone off the side table and sat down on the edge of the bed.

Though I had no text messages, I thought it would be necessary to call my mom and dad to let them know how everything was going since I got here. Like I said, I'd always been kind of loyal to my parents. Plus, it just seemed like the right thing to do.

With that, I dialed my dad's cell phone, knowing that he always answers that no matter what.

I held the phone up to my ear and patiently waited for the familiar sound of my dad's warm voice. Truthfully, I kind of missed them since I wasn't used to being away from them-- ever-- but I liked being independent too. And I knew that I was going to be kept busy all week, so it's not like I would've even had the time to miss them.

"Hello?"

"Hi Daddy," I grinned, enjoying the fact that I could push my act aside for a few minutes. My parents didn't know about my plan to get revenge on Austin and everyone at school, so I couldn't let them know about that at all.

When I talked to them, I acted like the girl they spent a part of their lives raising.

I didn't want to disappoint them by acting like a whore around them like I kind of did with everyone else. Briefly, I was a tease. I would dress provocatively but act like the sweetest girl around people. Unless, of course, it was Austin.

Deep down, I was still that kindhearted girl. The kids at school couldn't see that though because it would ruin what I had going.

Talking to my dad was nice. I liked getting away from hormonal teenagers for a little while. Don't get me wrong, I've grown to love all of them in different ways, but all they seem to care about is hooking up and partying. That's not something I really cared to talk about.

Though it was only a five minute conversation, I was thankful for it.