- Chapter 13 -

● Juliet Saunders 

The weeks went by at a moderate pace. I hadn't talked to Austin since that day at the beach house and I didn't plan on talking to him ever again. I wasn't going to try to get back at him or be his friend or anything more than that because let's face it, after high school, none of it would matter. Getting revenge wasn't going to be on my diploma or future job applications. I had to focus on school and get my shit together before I ran out of time. Plus, it was so immature. I had to realize that high school drama wasn't going to matter ten years in the future. So he wasn't going to be my friend, but not my enemy either. He was just going to be there.

Prom was a week away and though a few guys had asked me, I said no to all of them. I was still going to go, but I was planning on going with Whitney and Kyle. Kyle was bringing Tyler from the beach which I thought was nice, while Whitney was bringing one of her brother's friends from college. Go figure.

As for Robert and Alex, I wasn't sure who they were bringing. Alex had an eye on a girl in his English class, so he was planning on bringing her. Robert, on the other hand, said he didn't want to go. After much begging, pleading, and convincing, I got him too. We said that we would go together if no one came up, but as friends only.

Austin? I had no idea. I didn't know if he was even going. He probably would, and if he did, he was most likely going to bring the sluttiest girl in school. He was so predictable.

Austin sat at our lunch table considering he was still friends with everyone else like I was, but we sat on opposite ends. I wanted to stay as far away as possible from him because I just couldn't stand being around him. To even think that I said I loved him made me sick, though it was obvious that I still did because like I said, things like that don't just go away when you want them to. It takes time.

"Do you like this one or this one?" Whitney asked, posing in front of the mirror with the current dress she had on which was A-line, turquoise, and sequined. She pointed to the other dress that hung on the wall that was the same as the dress she had on but purple. Kyle and I had been sitting in the dressing room with her for what seemed like hours. She had been debating between the identical dresses for so long and I hadn't even found my dress yet. Kyle found hers, which was an orange strapless gown with pink detailing and sequins. She looked amazing in it.

Kyle groaned and hit her head on the wall behind her, pulling a laugh from me. "I already told you, I like the blue one!"

She posed again, examining every single piece of her body thoroughly. Her hand was on her hip and she directed her eyes back towards me. "What do you think Juliet?"

I said the blue one at least five times, I thought to myself.

"Blue," I declared bluntly, biting the inside of my cheek and crossing my arms over my stomach. Whitney knew how bored we were, but she didn't care. It was all about her in that moment.

Time continuously dragged on until she finally decided on the turquoise dress that Kyle liked best. Truthfully, it looked a bit skank-y, but we just wanted to get out of that store. I didn't want to look at another dress ever again, but I still had to find mine. When I did, it was a snap. I wasn't all that picky when it came to things like that. Of course, I cared, but it wasn't a major ordeal like it was to Whitney. Hopefully it wasn't like that for anyone.

Anyways, my dress was lavender. It had sequined embellishments all over the top and once it hit the waist, it went out. According to the lady at the store who was helping me, it was "princess" style. I liked it a lot and I couldn't wait to wear it. Instead of feeling like I had to be a slut or a whore at school, I could actually wear something I thought was pretty. Not extremely revealing, but just the way I wanted it to be.