- Chapter 12 -

● Austin Mahone ●

"Austin, where are you going?" Alex called from behind me.

I turned around and stopped, swallowing hard. "Listen to me, you've got to get everyone out of the house. I need to talk to Juliet alone."

Giving me a face of confusion, he crossed his arms over his stomach. "What the hell am I supposed to do? Drag them outside?"

"I don't know!" I groaned. "Just-- just take them to the boardwalk or something! Get everyone out!"

He nodded, but he didn't go immediately. "Wait, Austin. What you said about Juliet earlier, I--"

"I don't have time for that! I don't care!" I yelled, throwing my arms up. And without even listening to his retort, I spun around and found Juliet's room, laying my hand over the doorknob.

Juliet Saunders 

Why did I even bother? I thought. Why did I try to get back at him? I should've known I was going to lose in the end. Who am I to think I can take down someone as powerful as him? I'm not as strong as I think I am. I'm still that cowardly, insecure teenager that I was five years ago. That will never change. Never. Neither will the fact that I like him. I like him and I still don't know why. I don't understand why I can't let the past go and just forget. I just want to forget.

I'd stopped crying and I just sat on the edge of the bed, wondering how it all ended like that. He was supposed to be the one hurt in the end, not me. But then I had a change in heart and I didn't want to hurt him anymore, I just wanted to be with him. And that's when it all came crashing down on me.

I assumed everyone was probably waiting for me in the living room, but I didn't care. I wasn't going to let them see me like this. They could wait just a few minutes before I composed myself.

My door opened without warning, Alex appearing before me. I pushed a smile and looked down at my lap, knowing he knew that something was wrong. Out of all the people here, he was the only one who wasn't oblivious. He sat down beside me.

It was silent. He didn't say anything and neither did I because I expected him to. I didn't have anything I wanted to tell him.

Finally, after minutes of silence, he spoke. "You still like him, don't you?"

Swinging my head to his direction, I felt my throat tighten and my stomach tie up in a knot. I didn't think I was that obvious. I looked back down and let out a sigh.

"How did you know?" I tested softly, ashamed by the fact that someone other than Austin knew.

He stifled a laugh. "Juliet, you weren't exactly very good at hiding it."

I smiled to myself, almost laughing at how I just thought I wasn't being obvious. Apparently I was. Well, at least enough for Alex to find out.

"Is that why you--" His voice trailed off and he studied me, waiting for me to reply.

I nodded without even having to have him elaborate. I knew he was asking if that's why I changed my appearance. "And still, after everything that's happened between us, I can't stop thinking about him. He's in my head all the time and I don't know why."

At first he didn't say anything. I felt his eyes break from me and he looked down, almost as if he was thinking over his words before he said them unlike anyone else in the house. "Do you think maybe you love him?"

My body immediately tensed up at those words. I didn't even consider that.

"I shouldn't, so--"

"I know you shouldn't, but that doesn't mean you can't. Do you love him?" He repeated, only more stern this time.