𝟑| 𝐒𝐔𝐌𝐌𝐄𝐑 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐈𝐍'

Nothing was good at the lunch line, so I settled on a piece of gum

Nothing was good at the lunch line, so I settled on a piece of gum. I walked out of the room and blew a bubble. There were two pink-clad girls swaying their hips, singing a tune that I didn't recognize. I rolled my eyes at them. They were the Pink Ladies I heard about.

The girl from this morning was there. The blonde looked so out of the picture. "Heyo, Sandy!" I called.

Sandy turned around and waved at me. "Hey Charlie!" She turned to her redhead friend, "Hey Frenchy, can Charlie sit with me? I met her this morning."

"Sure!" Frenchy said. "As my Pops would say, 'The more the merrier!'"

I smiled sadly at the father reference and sat down with Sandy.

"Hey you guys," Frenchy said, sitting down.

"Hey, French." The leader had short, curly hair. She didn't look up from her food as she greeted Frenchy.

"This is Sandy Olsson and Charlie." Frenchie pointed to us, then pointed to the girls around. "That's Jan and Marty, and this here's Rizzo."

I popped my gum at them in greeting. "Sandy moved here from Sydney, Australia. And I just met Charlie here."

"Charlie? As in a boy's name?" Rizzo asked.

"You're not the only one who asked believe it or not."

"I won't, who asked ya?" She turned to me.

"One of the boys. They just all call me Mamba." I said.

"Mamba? Like the snake?" Jan asked me.

"Exactly like the snake. I put one in Patty Simcox's purse." I said. Rizzo smiled and the girls laughed.

"We got a Pink on our hands, girls." Rizzo looked at the group. I sat up straighter at the compliment.

"Marty, are those new glasses?" Frenchie asked.

"Yeah, don't they make me look smarter?" She asked, fixing her diamond studded glasses up on her nose.

"Nah," Rizzo said, stretching back. "You can still see ya face."

"Hey, uh, it was nice meetin' y'all, but I gotta go. See ya later?" I asked.

"Oh! Mamba," Rizzo pulled me down. I looked down at her in response. "French's havin' a sleepover tonight. Wanna come?"

I smiled at her offer. "Sure! See ya tonight."

I made my way to the football field. I saw the boys on the bleachers, looking out onto the field.

"Ladies and gentlemen! Dingelberry's on parade!" I heard Kenickie say in an annoyed tone. I looked out and saw a jock running onto the field, foot stuck in his helmet with Eugene trying to help him.

"Hey! Look!" Doody said. "You really put your foot in it this time Chisel!"

"Yeah! Try hopscotch you hot jock!" Putzie yelled.

Doody imitated shooting him with his water gun. I was still out of sight to them, but I could hear them and see Kenickie's back on the railing.

"Hey, did any of ya see that new chick at registration? Oh, she sure beats the foam domes around here." Kenickie addressed the group.

"You mean her jugs her bigger than Annette's?" Sonny asked.

"Nobody's jugs are bigger than Annette's." Kenickie joked.

"Oh, what? You're talkin' 'bout Charlie?" Putzie asked Kenickie, laughing.

"Shut up," Kenickie said. Interesting that he didn't say anything else.

"Hey look," Doody said to his friends. They all looked at Putzie looking up a girl's skirt. Doody called him, making the girl and her friend realize what was happening. Doody squirted Putzie with his water gun, calling him an sick man and stuffing his mouth with an apple when he sat up.

"Hey! I wanna hear 'bout Danny's summer!" Doody said.

I emerged from the bend and said hello. Kenickie looked down at me, surprised as did Putzie. Danny greeted me with an excited "Heya Mamba!" As did Doody and Sonny.

I climbed up the railing and the boys were hammering Danny to tell them about his summer.

"C'mon guys! You don't wanna hear all the horny details," Danny said, already knowing his response.

"Yes we do!"

"Hell yes, Danny!"

"C'mon Danny, tell us!"

I personally didn't want to hear any of it since it was the perspective of a boy, so I didn't say anything.

"Alright! Alright I'll tell ya," Danny said, getting into the story. I stood up and got closer, next to Kenickie.

"Summer lovin', had me a blast," Danny started singing.

He started singing about what he did with the girl, but it all seemed fake, as if he's only telling us all these horny details to please his friends.

"So I told her, we'd still be friends." Danny sang sadly now, walking up to the top corner of the bleachers, looking out into the quad where the Pink Ladies were.

"Wonder what," Danny said, looking out to the horizon. "She's doing now."

Kenickie and I looked at each other with empathy, but Kenickie soon realized who he was looking at, coughed and popped his collar, turning away from me.

"Summer dreams, ripped at the seams," Danny sang and I frowned. "But, oh, those summer nights!"

He finished with a pose and I smiled and clapped. Danny climbed down again, elbow on Kenickie's shoulder. I'm really starting to like Rydell High School.

[EDITED]