Chapter 31: Badass or Dumbass

March 21 2008, Peoria, Illinios, United States

Peoria Players Theatre

Maya and Puck walked around the side of the building down an alleyway looking for a back door, or even a side one. They were able to find an emergency exit off a stairwell that led up to the theatre balconies. When Maya went to try it, she found it was locked from the outside.

"Crap," she cursed, glaring at the door. Puck woofed quietly and went to leave, hoping she would follow him. He looked up at her when she whispered loudly "Hide!"

Puck followed her behind an alleyway dumpster, just as the door opened and a small group of people exited the side door, cigarette smoke began filling the air.

"Misha!" a feminine voice called out. "Make sure the door is propped! Or we'll be locked out."

"I got it," presumably this Misha said in a light amiable male voice. Maya curled her lips in her mouth to keep from laughing. Seriously, who named their male kid Misha? Oh that poor man. "You guys really shouldn't smoke."

A loud snort followed by another deeper male's voice "Says the guy who came with us and is inhaling all that delicious toxic second hand smoke."

"Well, who else was going to make sure you didn't lock yourselves out and try to shame you out of a bad habit?" Misha said in exasperation his voice no longer as loud but held a hint of fondness.

Carefully looking around the dumpster she was crouched behind, Maya watched as the group of three walked down towards the other end of the alley, their backs turned to them.

Maya looked back at the door that was propped open with an empty coffee cup and saw the no smoking zone sign. Smiling she straightened her self up and silently sneaked to the door, slipping in with a pensive Puck. If she accidentally knocked the empty coffee cup out of the way, well she wouldn't know as she had quickly set out to find a secluded spot to set up her trap.

Misha and company finished their smokes and went back to the side exit, only to find the door completely shut and they were locked out.

"I don't get it," Misha said after failing to open the door, scratching his head. "I distinctly remember using an empty coffee cup to keep the door open."

The female in the group sighed, "Guess we'll have to walk all the way to the front to get back in."

Misha yelped when the other male smacked him up the back of his head, "Way to go man."

Misha sent the man a petulant glare, "Maybe if you two quite smoking you wouldn't have to be a little less lazy when it comes to a short walk to the front."

"Hey. Maybe it was that ghost, Norman?" the male suggested with a joking grin.

Misha just rolled his eyes at him, "Maybe it's Norman telling you two to stop smoking near his theatre."

.....................................................................

Maya climbed the stairwell up to one of the upper floors that led to the balcony seats and some spare rooms and washrooms. None of the memorial service goers seemed to be up there. Probably since most of the service was being held on the theatre stage and in the lobby.

Puck remained on alert as he followed behind his Mistress, keeping his senses open for anything unnatural. Like the homicidal ghost that wanted to kill her.

You know, things like that.

A brief flash of acknowledgement for his subtle mental use of sarcasm, who knew he had it in him? Puck's thoughts went back to guarding as Maya started checking possible spare rooms to use.