Peace In Our Time?

Published on November the 14th, 2018.

We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately. - Benjamin Franklin

Eventually it had to happen. With her time for prevarication running out, Theresa May was forced to propose her draft Brexit deal to the cabinet. This, you must bear in mind, is far from being any sort of achievement or triumph, but a national humiliation which allows Brussels to “retain all the controls” over swathes of British regulation according to an EU briefing document. It isn't any kind of Brexit, but a 'Colony minus' deal, an agreement so flawed it is condemned by europhile Tony Blair as a "capitulation" and yet the cabinet endorsed it, 'collectively' rather than unanimously so it would appear.

I think the reason they did so was for no other reason that if they hadn't, the government would have exploded into a welter of cogs and springs like an overwound clockwork toy. Having given it their grudging support they can now pass this scaldingly hot potato on to Parliament, where it must inevitably founder.

As this evening draws on, plots are inevitably being hatched, though will they come to naught after the ringleaders bottle it yet again? There are rumours of - finally! - an open revolt in the Tory ranks and an official vote of no confidence in the Prime Minister. Perhaps some cabinet members after giving the matter more consideration will come to the conclusion their only course of action is to resign either later tonight or early tomorrow. It seems likely the DUP will realise 'Theresa the Appeaser' is going to shaft them with the same contempt she shows everyone else and withdraw their support upon which the government depends. Tomorrow we might awaken to a changed political landscape, or the rulers huddling even more tightly together knowing they are damned if they do, and even more damned if they don't. If this zombie government doesn't come apart now, then when?...

In the meantime the 'Treason May' train wreck continues. Is this verse from The New Christy Minstrels song 'Three Wheels On My Wagon' running through her mind at this moment?
One wheel on my wagon,
And I'm still rolling along.
Them Cherokees are after me
I'm all in flames,
At the reins
But I'm singing a happy song...

The sooner her song is over, the better