Dare Call It Treason

Published on April the 5th, 2019.

Consequently my reaction
Is getting rather strange
I can see your course of action
Leading to a change - Treason (It's Just A Story) - The Teardrop Explodes.

It's come later and in a different form than I expected, but the establishment rush for the fire exit has begun in earnest. Defying parliamentary convention the Cooper/Letwin bill prohibiting a No Deal Brexit has been hurried through a first reading in the Commons, and is currently in the Lords, awaiting more 'debate' on Monday April the 8th. Meanwhile Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn continue their talks regarding a possible 'compromise', though it would appear they have reached an impasse due to May refusing to concede any of her 'red lines', - ie; she wants her 'deal' to be passed unaltered with Labour's connivance. Well Mr Corbyn; what did you expect when you sat down with the Devil? All you've achieved is dirtying your reputation among Labour supporters who will come - quite rightly - to the conclusion that you can't be trusted.

As if the assault on a clean Brexit from all sides of the political class wasn't enough, to cap it all Treason May has requested an Article 50 extension until June 30th and the government are reported to be making preparations for the UK to participate in the EU parliament elections! (The equally duplicitous faux 'opposition' are also planning their candidate selection process)

This is frankly taking the piss! Were the UK to be forced to hold elections for an organisation its people had voted to leave and whos' membership should have already ended, this would mark a national humiliation as well as a betrayal of the democratic process.

It remains to be seen though if all of this frantic wasp buzzing inside a sealed jam jar being heated over a fire activity will come to anything. The crucial date now is next Wednesday the 10th, the day of the European summit, where May's plea for an extension will be considered. The EU leaders have previously stated that unless the Withdrawal Agreement is passed, or is likely to pass by Friday the 12th, no extension will be granted. A Cooper/Letwin bill still going through a Commons second reading, or a possible cross-party compromise which alters the Withdrawal Agreement the EU have said is not open to further negotiation or amendment is unlikely to satisfy them. Unless May delivers her Withdrawal Agreement to them, or can convince the summit she has a roadmap to do so which has a reasonable chance of succeeding, then the other leaders really ought to as they have pledged and put an end to this desperate saga.

Hopefully the EU leaders will make good on their threat. If they don't, and this marks the beginning of a series of extensions leading to an indeterminate, ever- postponed Brexit, I fear our chances of leaving the bloc - at least by peaceful means - are finished.