• Chapter 2 •

Grey

I gasped, tightening my grip on my blanket as I jolted awake from my nightmare. Tears tricked down my face which I quickly wiped off.

Emotions make you weaker.

Sweat dripped down forehead as I got up from my crooked bed. I hobbled over to the washroom, refusing to let my eyes meet the pathetic figure reflected on my mirror. I gripped the edges of the sink trying to stabilize myself before washing my face.

The cold water forcing me to remember that it was just a dream. I lazily grabbed a towel and wiped my face before heading back to bed.

It was only 2 o'clock so I still had a good 5 hours more of sleep. I flopped back on my bed, squeezing my eyes shut as I tried to focus on anything but my thoughts. It was difficult but eventually I fell back asleep.

"Wake up!" Someone screeched kicking me on my ribs. I hissed in pain, fluttering my eyes open to reveal my foster mom towering over me with her signature scowl plastered on her face. Her messy brown hair was tied up into a ponytail, her stormy blue eyes radiating anger. "Can't you hear your goddamn alarm?!"

"Sorry," I mumbled, getting off my bed. She huffed in annoyance, making a scene of rolling her eyes before she made her way out the room.

I groaned, pulling my blanket over my face.

Somehow I managed to get out of bed and get ready, pulling on my usual basketball jacket over a white shirt with track pants. I only had one pair of shoes so I pulled them on, too. Just the thought of going to school after the holidays made me sick.

I hated school, no, I despised it. I might be one of the "popular" kids but I hated being the centre of attention. It just gets under my skin. I know that I am lucky to not be bullied at school but I can't help feeling the way I did.

I'm also most definitely not a favorite student to my teachers however. I'm terribly short-tempered, which leads to me getting sent to the principal's office quite often. It's not like I try to get into fights. People just annoy the fuck put of me and so I swing. My grades are pretty decent because I don't really mind studying. I don't have anything else to do anyway.

Well, except basketball. That's the one thing that keeps me sane. The sound of the ball hitting the court floor and the feeling of getting the basketball in the hoop was surreal.

After I finished getting ready I walked down the stairs into the dining room. My three foster brothers and two foster sisters immediately snapped their gaze to me with a blank look. I shot them a quick nod before taking my place on the table. If you didn't realize already I'm not the most social person ever...pfft that's the only obvious thing in my life.

I quickly downed the stale bread on my plate before heading out. I walked to school, unlike my foster sibling who took the bus. Buses are too crowded. I don't like them.

The walk to school was a good 15 minutes but I didn't mind it. It gave me time to think about things. I don't really like thinking that much though. It makes me feel upset and eventually makes me angry, then I end up punching someone. It was a series of events that I tried to avoid as much as possible.

I snapped out of my thoughts when I saw one of my teammates—Dylan Rockshur—coming towards me with a huge grin covering his face. I  mentally groaned and hoped that he wasn't coming my way. But due to my 'amazing' luck, he stopped right in front of me raising his fist hoping to get a fist bump from me. I simply stared at him. He dropped his fist at my intense gaze, his grin faltering as he awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck.