6. Lessons from my Marriage (Part 1)

In the Name of Allaah the best healer the beautiful bestower

Thousands of blessings and peace of Allaah SWT be upon His beloved Prophet Muhammad SAW, his blessed descendants and noble companions.
- Aameen

Lessons from my Marriage (Part 1)

"So what are you gonna do with all those other eggs?" tilting its head Kavvay the crow, eyed me expectantly.

I snorted and my friend of nearly two months blinked his bright beady eye.

We have these daily conversations where even after getting his share of food, he usually wonders what I'm going to do with the rest. He cannot understand why I just don't give him everything.

I become wrapped in thoughts and continue to halve those boiled 'other eggs', then apply a paste of spicy masala before roasting them in a pan.

Kavvay, my friend has been watching me with great interest all this time from his seat by the kitchen window.

"I don't see why you humans have this fuss about cooking food," he says baffled and I smile.

"Eating it raw is tastier and easier," I raise my brows in derision but he explains seriously, "For digestion I mean. Just yesterday I ate a delicious bug, crunchy on the outside and crea..."

I stop him. "No Kavvay, that's enough."

"Are you talking to the crow again?" My mother in law, who passes by gives me an amused glance.

"Caw caw," kavvay replies, of course old lady, who else do you think is there with her?

"Don't call her old lady."

"Caaww. Why not? She is old."

I shrugged. "I got it from my husband I guess. He does not want to think her as growing old but want her healthy and fine."

"She looks fine to me."

"I know," I grin. "Alhamdulillaah that, may Allaah SWT grant her many more healthy fine years! Aameen."

"Aameen." Kavvay agreed.

Our family has always been great lovers of cats. From my childhood until my marriage, we've raised so many cats that keeping track of their names became a lost cause. Abba is just as crazy about kitties while Ammi and my step mamma remain neutral and try to maintain what they call 'a proper distance', which is not often followed by the cats themselves.

But marriage taught me that there are really people in this world who have a strange dislike for cats, which is all of my in laws. They don't like cats. They have never liked cats and they won't in the future too. So my husband says.