28. The One Between The Aisles

❝I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light

❝I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light.❞

—Hellen Keller

💔 BRENDA 💔

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Saying I was hurt with where my friendship with Scott ended up was an understatement to say the least. In our youth, we were inseparable and promised we'd voice our opinions respectfully before turning things into a full out argument. We were ten, and somehow, we were smarter than how we were now. I had numerous disagreements with Scott since we got in to this house, ones that harmed our friendship and left us in a worse state than before.

If someone would've told me ahead of time that living with Scott, despite them being your best friend, was a challenge on its own, I wouldn't have believed them. Early on, I was so positive this would work.

I could sense how wrong I was now, preparing my breakfast in the kitchen. Scott was resting in the living room, watching highlights from a football game. We greeted each other when I walked downstairs, but it was so brief that I couldn't recall what I exactly said besides a brief hello. He didn't look up from the TV when I spoke so that was a dead giveaway things still weren't normal between us.

Things were off and I didn't know who to blame. The rage he had exuded about me getting involved with a roommate was unmatched to any other fight we previously had. I couldn't see how he could be so passionate about something that happened on accident. He should be happy for me, happy that I wasn't hung up on Harris anymore.

It wasn't as though I intention decided to start something up with Ziyan. One incident led to another, and somehow, I was unable to detach the bound we'd formed.

"What are you making?"

I turned and saw Scott, leaning his shoulder in to wall that connected to the living room. He had blue and white basketball shorts on and a big red hoodie. Across the front of the hoodie, it spelled out Richmond University in blocky white letters. Even though it was well past noon, I could tell he just got up from sleeping; I could see it in his eyes. For Scott, that wasn't like him at all. He woke up early every morning to work out at the gym. Today wasn't one of those days, though.

"I'm making eggs." I returned to the task of whisking. "There isn't too much left in the fridge for breakfast, so I'll stop over at the grocery store later."

"Can I come with you?"

This, quite possibly, stunned me more than seeing him in his sleeping clothes. "Yeah, sure you can come. You don't need to ask me."

"Alright then. I'm going to shower and then get dressed." He announced. "I'll be in my room. Knock whenever you're ready to go."

"I will," I agreed, and he went on his way, taking two steps at a time while going up the stairs.