47. The Last One Pt. 2

❝Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom❞

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

❝Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom❞

― Aristotle

(a/n: I double updated so make sure you're reading this in order
and please vote)

🗝DELILAH🗝

I was sidetracked from packing.

On my television screen, the news was on and they were covering the presidential race. They stopped in Austin, broadcasting from the steps of the state's capital building. When they panned to the candidate's family, the two of us choked on our breath.

"That can't be." I huffed. "That...that can't be Noah."

"It is," Clive assured me. "I could recognize that long-neck motherfucker anywhere."

"That makes so much more sense."

"What does?"

"I get why Rebecca went crazy when he tried to leave her."

"I don't get it at all."

"For the people involved in Greek life, they join for the networking opportunities."

"Really? I don't give Greek life-oriented people enough credit then. I thought Greek life was for getting drunk and fucked."

"It's not just a place for you to pay to party—it's about who you meet. A lot of powerful people were a part of sororities and fraternities. Wherever they went, their kids go as well. And for those folks, political power means everything."

"Damn, you made her lose the senator's son."

"That's what she thought," I clarified, "and to someone like her, that's a big loss."

"She could've killed you over this. That's some powerful dick."

I tossed my pillow at him, chuckling. "Shut up and help me pack."

Clive slid off my mattress, taking one of the shirts from the dresser, and started to fold it. I got into the rhythm of putting my things into a small duffle bag, humming to myself. My mind went blank when I heard the doorbell ring. Who could that be? I was home alone and everyone who left had a key.

"I don't want to see who it is. Wanna do rock-paper-scissors to see who has to check?" Clive noted, tapping his hand to his chest. He took a step toward the window in my room, peaking out. "Oh, it's Wyatt's car out front."

Wyatt?!

I had forgot about our dinner entirely. The date slipped my mind after my sister's unexpected visit. We had agreed to eat together, but that was off the table with everything that had occurred. I couldn't stay in the Dallas area any longer.

When Mona said she had become free from her boyfriend, the first thing I thought about was my family in Morton. She had plead for a place to stay, begging me to the point of abrasion to my patience.