// 17 //

Serial Killer - Moncrieff, JUDGE

I was smiling. It was the first time in what felt like eons that I wasn't forcing a smile on my face. Mare was sitting next to Kane, who had an arm wrapped around his shoulder. I was sitting across from them, doubled over with laughter. Marcy Jater had just swooped over to as Kane if he was single, prompting Mare to get up. Right before he could, Kane easily kissed his boyfriend on the cheek and told Marcy Jater to go back to screwing the baseball team. I was smiling.

"Ace, your phone," Mare says between giggling and I look down to the buzzing phone. It was my aunt. What did she even want from me? I didn't even think she had my cell phone number, to be honest. I roll my eyes and answer. It was probably something to do with dad again.

"Hello?" I ask and I could already hear the sniffling and sobbing coming from the device.

"Are you alone?" My aunt asks in her usual nasally voice, but more than usual. As if she'd been crying. Did another cat of hers die?

"No, I'm with Mare. What's wrong? Why are you crying?" I ask and I'm met with silence. I look up at MAre and Kane, who were both watching me with concern. I shrug my shoulders at them and spin my finger next to my head. This woman was crazy for calling me, even if I was only on a small break between classes.

"I think you should be alone when I tell you this," She continues and I sigh into the phone. I was running out of patience for her, not that I had any for her at all.

"Just spit it out, I have to get back to class soon," I sigh and rest my free hand on the table. Mare scooted away from Kane and was now sitting closer to me, leaning over the table in concern.

"I really think you shoul-"

"Listen, I don't have time for this, I'll call you back."

"Your parents are dead.," The smile from my face fades as she speaks. It was a joke. An April Fool's hoax. It was late May.

"If you were going to call me to tell me a joke-"

"Joint suicide. Three hours ago," My blood runs cold. I was at the house only four hours ago. Mom and dad had already left the house, or so I thought. It was impossible, it wasn't happening.

"They assume it was poison, but there isn't a solid lead for now. I'm so sorry, Acacia. They loved you so much."

"Where are you?" I demand and my aunt gives me the hospital address. She said I would need a code to get into the building but I was barely listening. If they loved me, then why were they dead? Why did I feel alone when I sped to the house and saw police tape all around? Why did I cry when I saw their purple bodies? Why was I the one who was left alive?