The Storm

Twilight's POV

When I woke up this morning the sun was shining, flowers were still blooming and the Terrible Terrors were singing. I had walked out of my house with Kania and thought, gee today will be a great sunny day. But I must have jinxed myself because it is pouring rain now and almost everyone is inside the Great Hall because the storm is so strong. I say almost because myself and the other riders and their dragons are out here making sure all the animals, people, and boats are safe. Me and Toothless have the biggest role though because we have sonar location and can pick up any ships that might still be out there. I could have done this myself though, it's putting Kania in danger being out here.

"I don't see any ships, and the storm isn't lighting up. We should just head inside already!" I hear Snotlout complain over the raging wind and rain. For once I actually agree with him, there isn't anything to see for miles and we are putting all our well beings at risk being out here.

"I agree, we should be inside sheltered from the rain. If we don't we could be eaten by a rain monster!" Tuffnut exclaims, I hear a soft whimper come from Fishlegs. I guess he doesn't like water monsters or something.

"Just a little longer, we need to be absolutely sure there aren't any ships at sea." Hiccup almost commands. The others nod reluctantly, Kania just sighs. I sigh myself and keep using my sonar location. Since the beginning of the storm there has been lightning but now there is so much that it's basically the only thing you can hear.

"Alright, let's go. We have done as much as we can, now we just have to hope most things survive." Hiccup announces over the lightning. Just as we were flying back though lightning struck near me and I panicked, I swung around and my eyes could barely see anything. It was all blurry and white splotches everywhere. Then I felt weight slide off my back and realized Kania had fallen off and was now plummeting to the cold, dark, raging waters below.

"AAAAH!"Kania's ear splitting scream rang through the air as she fell. I dived down after her but she reached the water just before me, but I dived down after her anyways knowing that this could be my end. But I wasn't going to go down without trying to save my best friend and rider. And so I crashed into the cold water that was so dark it seemed like it could swallow me whole.

Kania's POV

It's cold. Very cold and wet. I am barely awake and I can't see a thing, but I assume Twilight is with me because her licking my face is what woke me up.

"Twilight? W-what is going on? Where are we?"I whisper, still trying to regain my consciousness. I hear her make a croo noise and she lights a flame in her mouth. I have to wince away at the sudden light but when my eyes adjust I notice I am inside a dark ball thing. With closer examining, however, I notice it's not a ball, instead it's Twilight's wings and whole body curled around me making a hollow inside. Well almost hollow if you count the water. Wait, water? Then I remember what happened before I blacked out, I fell off Twilight's back and into the water. But if that happened and I'm here the... no... that's impossible. Could we be on the ocean floor, and the only air is the air in this pocket of air Twilight made with her body? As much as I don't want to believe it I know I have to because water is flowing into the air pocket, and when I pocked Twilight's wing I could hear sloshing water on the other side. I realize I am only still breathing because Twilight is using her legs to keep my head above water. It's a little hard to breathe but I can breathe nonetheless. The water is still pouring in and I have to lift my head to keep breathing, Twilight too. I don't know how long exactly we were down there but it must have been longer than 3 minutes at least. Soon enough though the water was at our, well my, ears and all I had was my face above water and Twilight's muzzle was the only thing I could see. Her eyes were submerged in water. I feared I was going to drown then and there but I felt Twilight grab me with her claws and knowing what she was going to attempt I took one last big breath and ducked my head underwater. I felt Twilight unwrap herself from around me and she started to swim up. I was starting to get needy for air and just when I thought we would drown we broke through the water and up into the air. I coughed up water and gulped air into my lungs, the rain and lightning had stopped but the clouds were still there. Sun peeked through the clouds though and the warm rays hit my face. We slowly landed on the ground and I heard people rushing to me and commands being spoken.

"Get her a blanket quick!" I hear Hiccup shouting to one of the people who was following him. I was shaking and I clenched my arms, I was freezing despite the sun rays and I was sneezing left and right. Twilight shook the water from her scales and sneezed a few times as well. I felt a warm blanket drape over me and I clenched that instead.

"Are you okay? You were down there for a while, we thought you drowned!" Astrid stresses, she is a very tough viking but on the inside was very soft and caring towards her companions and loved ones.

"I-I'm f-f-fine. J-just cold is a-all." I shakily say, still freezing. I was thankful that I was alive, cold and wet yes, but alive. I thanked the gods they spared me but I mostly thanked Twilight. Without her, I would have been a goner.

Twilight's POV

I see Toothless rush over to me, nearly tripping over his own feet. He runs up and nuzzles me.

"NEVER do that again! I thought I lost you!" Toothless whimpers and blurts out shakily.

"I can't make any promises but I can do my best. And you know I would never die on you like that right? I'm too tough to go down that easily. Besides, I know you would do the same for Hiccup." I tell him, nuzzling him softly. Giving him a comforting lick on the head, he looks at me with eyes that were filled with fear, relief, happiness and joy. I hated seeing him look so worried, it brakes my heart in two. But I lay down and my saddle is taken off, then replaced by a large blanket. For the rest of the day Toothless watches over me like a Changewing guarding its nest and spoils me with plenty of fish and warm supplies. He really is sweet but honestly, he doesn't have to treat me like a fragile piece of glass. But I kind of like knowing he cares so much, it's also kind of nice being spoiled but I won't be like this for long. By tomorrow I will be helping rebuild the damage the storm did to the village. And while I'm doing that I'm sure Fishlegs will be questioning Kania about how she survived all day. I don't know what is more hard work. I laugh inwardly and lay my head down, close my eyes and almost immediately fall asleep.