Eight

The wheel lock was so stiff it took both Tila and Malachi's combined strength to turn it enough to release the mechanical locks and pressure seals. The seals disengaged with a thud and the sudden change in air pressure caused their ears to pop suddenly and painfully.

"Aggh," exclaimed Malachi and clamped his hands protectively over his ears. Ellie winced and wiggled a finger in each ear and swallowed quickly.

Only Tila appeared unaffected. "Stop making a fuss," she said as Malachi clawed at his ears in pain. Finally, the moment passed and the pain subsided. Malachi sighed with relief.

"I hope that's the last time that happens today," he grumbled.

Tila leaned backward and pulled the door open. Light and air flooded in.

Malachi looked into the corridor beyond. The main lights were on, the air was warmer and drier and fresher, but it still carried with it that strange industrial flavour. The walls, while still old and dirty, did not seem in danger of falling apart. There was still some corrosion and decay evident here, after all, the ship was no younger this side of the door, but it was not to the same degree as the area they were leaving.

Directly in front of the door was a wheeled trolley loaded with tools. None of them appeared to have been used for some time.

Malachi pulled the door closed behind them and resealed it. "We don't want anyone knowing we used this door," he explained. "The pressure differential will set off an alarm somewhere if we leave it open."

Tila nodded absently while Ellie breathed in the relatively fresher air.

"Do you have any idea where in the ship we are?" Tila asked as they started walking again.

"Not really. We've been walking for some time so we must be somewhere in the front third by now. It's hard to be sure without a map or a window."

"We keep going then."

"Where to?"

"The bridge, of course."

"Tila, there will be a crew on the bridge. Do you expect to just walk in and get answers?"

"Yes, one way or another. I've come too far to leave without them. So have you. They won't be expecting us so we can take them by surprise. Bridge crew are unlikely to be armed so we don't have to worry about getting shot."

"They'll sound an alarm. They'll call for reinforcements."

"You can lock the doors."

"This is your plan? It's terrible."

"It's a plan."

"It's still terrible. How do we get out again? How do we get back to our ships? This isn't the time to rush in. We're close, but we can't be stupid. We need to be more careful, go slower. Not do this."

"No. I need answers now."

Malachi slowed to a halt. "Tila, this is a really, really, bad idea."

Ellie stopped beside him. "I think you're right."

"Obviously I'm right, Ellie. She's going to throw everything away if she carries on with this plan."

"We had better hurry up then."

"Hurry up?"

"You can't come this far and abandon her now, can you?"

"No, but--"

"So hurry up!"