Thirty Six

Malachi opened the first locker and placed the datapad and the pistol on the shelf. This one contained Ellie's flight suit. He held it for a moment, distracted by thoughts of where she might be, then he pulled out of the locker and shook it loose to make it ready for Ellie's return.

'How long do you want to wait?' he said.

Tila turned her back on the view.

'I've already waited too long. I'm going now.'

'You should rest more.'

Tila took the staff from the console and gripped it tight.

'I can't, Mal. Not until I know she's safe.'

Malachi held Ellie's flight suit close to him. 'I understand. She would do the same for you, you know.'

'She'd try her best. I know that.'

Malachi put the flight suit back in the locker, took the pistol and closed the door with a click. 'Take this. Don't just use the staff.'

'Mal, come on. How are you going to defend yourself if I take that?'

Malachi didn't argue. She was right. He lowered the pistol and embraced her.

'Be safe,' he said.

'Be ready,' she replied.

Tila reluctantly extricated herself from his arms and turned back for the door.

She heard something outside and stopped.

'Mal?' she whispered.

'I heard it too,' he whispered back.

'Ellie!' Tila exclaimed. She dropped the staff and rushed for the door, ready for a new embrace of an old friend.

The door opened. Tila's face lit up in welcome and hope.

"El..." began Malachi, and then stopped.

The air crackled and smelled of ozone.

Typhon strode into the room. "I told you I would find you." His right fist sparked with electricity. His ungloved left hand held a weapon.

Typhon pointed the blaster at Malachi and fired. Malachi dived to one side, landing on his already injured shoulder. The yellow energy pulse scored the locker doors black. The sound of the blast echoed in the room like an electric gong.

Tila's hope flipped like a switch. She charged him, paying no heed to his weapon. "Where is she?" she screamed.

Typhon swung the weapon toward her and fired again. Tila ducked. The shot ripped through cargo webbing mounted by the airlock.

Malachi found his pistol and fired back blindly, discharging three wild shots before he realised he was in danger of hitting Tila. All three went high. One blew out a light above Typhon's head. Sparks poured from the fitting like a curtain.

Tila jumped and kicked, throwing all her weight behind one decisive attack. Typhon took it square in the chest and staggered but did not fall. Typhon aimed the blaster at Tila. Tila kicked it from his hand, spun, and kicked again at his head. Typhon dodged back, sparked the gauntlet, and punched.

The room flashed white as his fist connected with Tila's body. Lighting ripped along the white glove and through Tila. She tumbled backward over the console.

Malachi aimed again. This time he had a clear shot. He raised the weapon. Typhon advanced on him. Malachi aimed for the head. Fired. Typhon held the gauntlet high, still wrapped in power. Malachi's shot ricocheted from Typhon's fist. Malachi fired again. Again the shot deflected. The room filled with thunder and lightning.

Typhon reached Malachi, still prone on the floor. Malachi aimed lower, the body or the legs, it didn't matter. Typhon ripped the blaster from him with one swing, and struck him in the face with the back swing. Malachi scrambled for distance. Typhon dropped one heavy knee on Malachi's chest, pinning him in place.

Then he took Malachi's face in one hand and squeezed.

'No!'

Tila stood, stumbled against the wall for just a moment, then brought her body back under her command. She vaulted the console, snatching up her staff once more and threw herself at Typhon.

Typhon released Malachi's twitching body and turned toward the new danger. The staff swung at him from all directions. Every strike he blocked. Every counter-attack channeled an energy blast where it died in the unknown alloy.

They fought to a stalemate. Typhon unable to get close enough to hurt Tila. Tila too slow to get past Typhon's defenses.