C H A P T E R 41

ONE MORE DAY

ARRAH

We chose to eat upstairs where we could still watch over Nadia as she slept. Kai had us sit near the window. I was sitting on her lap enjoying the contact. We were sharing a plate and were taking turns feeding each other. We'd pause in silence and she'd drop a kiss or two. The moon was full and the sky was clear—a perfect view that we could be looking on as we had dinner.

"I love you, Arrah," she whispered. I turned to hug her as she put the plate down on the floor.

How I wish I could answer in kindtell her I love her with nothing weighing on my mind.

Saying the words now would make her happy.

But what of tomorrow?

Seeing Kai in a fit of panic thinking I disappeared and then crying in relief at the sight of me made me want to curse at everything that has happened and what's bound to happen.

'I warned you about guarding your heart, Kai.'

Trying my best not to let my inner turmoil show, I gently kissed her on the lips. Her lips that I have been given the chance to kiss again... her short hair that felt wonderful under my hand... the warmth I've been without for the past weeks—the her that I've missed.

Even when I knew it would come to this, I held onto her.

I was selfish.

Being claimed by her, spending wonderful years with her, and having Nadia—I could never bring myself to regret them.

Having a taste of what life could be with her, I wanted more. Giving birth to Nadia, I asked for more.

Time.

Just a little bit more...

I became too greedy.

"I'm so sorry," I told her.

I love you so much, Kai.

But would knowing that be enough once I was gone?

I wanted to hug her tighter than possible and never let go. I wanted to hide in her embrace without knowing where she ends and I begin. I wanted to stay with them longer.

'I don't want to die!'

One more day. Give me one more day. And I'll beg for another tomorrow. Then tomorrow after.

'Let me stay for one more day.'

'I would give you that if I could, Akì. If only I could...'

'Will Nadia be alright? At least give me that.'

'You heard what Sidapa said. The evil breed of shamans was no more. The origin of the curse is gone. She is free.'

My little angel sleeping soundly on the bed would be safe forever. She would grow into a fine lady and, hopefully, would live to be happy. A longer life, she would be blessed to live.

May she live enough for the both of us. No. Let her live for herself.

'You'll leave once this is over, Baku.'

'When Mayari is finished, I will not stay a second longer. Búlan will be returning to her rightful place. Sidapa will no longer roam the land of the living.'

'And I will cease to exist.'

Búlan was the only one keeping me alive and once Baku releases her, I would die. Another casualty of the past, there would be no future for me.