Gondor's Calling

Dreams were floating in and out of my tired mind, as a gust of wind blew my curtains open, and a beam of sun landed on my face.

My eyes felt like they had been glued shut. It took enormous effort to open them, and stare around the room.

Which was empty.

Cursing in Elvish, I pulled myself out of bed and began to get dressed.
Tying my clean hair out of my face, I looked out my window.

Judging from the sun's position in the sky, it was almost noon. I cursed some more.
My bow was across the room with my quiver, so I strode across to get them before opening my door and walking out into the hallway in search for the others.

I found them standing by the front doors, with Théoden, seemingly in conversation about what happened last night.

"There was no lie in Pippin's eyes." Gandalf was saying to Théoden. "A fool, but and honest fool he remains. He told Sarumon nothing of Frodo and the ring."
Which I was glad about beyond words.

Théoden seemed doubtful still, but if I were him, I would be doubtful too.

Gandalf went on. "We have been strangely fortunate." He said, with a hint of pride in his voice. "In the Palantír, we were able to see Sauron's plans. He moves to strike Minas Tirith."
Théoden raised his head to look at Gandalf, his eyes flickering to me, than back to the Wizard.

"His defeat at Helm's Deep showed our enemy one thing." Gandalf kept speaking. "He knows the heir of Elendil has come forth. Men are not at weak as he has though. The is courage still, and strength perhaps enough to challenge him. Sauron fears this. He will not risk the people of Middle-Earth under one banner. He will burn Minas Tirith to the ground before he sees a king return to the throne of men!"

His words made me feel cold inside.
He was talking about Aragorn, I was sure. I walked forwards to stand next to Gandalf.
"If the beacons of Gondor are lit, Rohan must be ready for war." I told Théoden, praying that he would listen, that he would understand.

He met my eye, and I saw the controlled fury inside of them.
"Tell me," He said. "Why should we ride to the aid of those who didn't come to ours?"
I sighed heavily.
"What do we owe Gondor?"

I couldn't answer his question. They didn't owe Gondor anything. But petty grudges wasn't going to win us this war.

"If Gondor calls for aid, we will go." I told Théoden, my heart pounding as I expected the worst from him, as last time I gave him directions, it ended poorly.
"Rohan owes Gondor nothing, but if they fall, we all fall with them. But if we come to their callings, and we fight alongside them, than they will not be defeated. The way to overthrow Sauron is not to hold out our grudges against each other and watch our people die because of it! It is to come together against our enemy, and fight. We fight until we win, or until every last man is dead!"

I backed up after I finished speaking, reallzing I had stepped forward towards the king.

There was a moment of silence before anyone said anything to my small confrontation.
Than Aragorn spoke.

"I will go to Gondor!"

I whipped my head around to look at him.
"No!" Gandalf said, desperate to keep Aragorn close now that we had learned what Sauron's motives were.

"Gandalf, they must be warned!"

"They will be! But you must go to Minas Tirith by another road. Follow the river and look to the Black Ships. But you must understand this: things are now in motion that cannot be undone. I will ride to Minas Tirith." He looked at Merry and Pippin, a few feet shorter than him. "And I will not be going alone!"