Chapter Eight

viii.| THE GREEN MONSTER

She found him irresistible. His presence, his aura, everything about him. Karina, albeit guardedly, denied her instincts.

Three days dragged by since the incident and, frankly, Orm and Karina's connection dimmed. They were back at being strangers, avoiding each other as possible. The tension was thick enough that even the small dog would find comfort at the backyard, playing with some of the dogs of her neighbors.

The morning was draining, so to say, and the two didn't even spare a glance at each other's direction. It feels like the space in her house was too small and could drown her any moment.

The breakfast was dreadful. The tension thick and awkward. The pup was nowhere to be found, and it left them with an overbearing situation.

Orm ate slowly, taking his precious time. His face was devoid of any emotion and Karina visibly tense, not saying a word.

On the other hand, she devoured the toasts on her plate and drank her water in one gulp. She stood up quite harshly, causing the chair to scrape on the floorboards.

She winced and glanced at Orm, who was still not paying her any mind.

Orm's bags were visible and he looked visibly tired. Not a night that passed by Karina could still hear his whimpers, his silent pleas and cries. She edged to talk to him, to comfort him.

But her ego and shame wouldn't let her.

It troubled her even though she decided they were strangers.

Isn't this what she wanted?

She set her utensils on the sink and washed her hands. Collecting herself with a deep and heavy breath, she padded her ways upstairs and went to her room.

She collapsed on her bed, the duvet and foam engulfing her body. Karina wished she could just stay here, away from any of the trouble, away from it all.

She lets out a dry laugh. How ironic, she escaped her parents but she ended up trapped.

Right around the corner, a book was neatly tucked beside her laptop. The spine of the book beckoning her to open it and rummage any information– any clue how to solve any of this.

Olivia is still not answering her calls and she wasn't present in St. Louis either. Karina had lost a small amount of hope she had for the old woman, but she is still waiting.

Thoughts were swirling inside her head that she felt an upcoming headache.

She didn't know what to do. Hell, she has no idea what's even happening anymore. Her days were mostly spent on her office, squeezing and working her brains off in her novel, but it was frustrating that even the inspiration she's been dreading is still lost.

Her phone vibrated on the side of her pillow. Sighing, she reached with lazy fingers and read the text, it was from an unknown number.

Hey, beautiful. What are you doing? ;)

Karina's eyebrow rose up in suspicion, and it took a good second to know who it was.

What do you want, Mason? And where th did you get my number?

She hit send and nearly squeaked when her phone instantly dinged, signaling a new reply.

Yikes. Is it the time of the month for ya? Chill, I'm just here to brighten your day, sweetheart.