Chapter Nine

As promised. Second chapter will be uploaded this Sunday. Sorry for the long wait, fam. Tell me what you think. Don't forget to vote and comment. Happy reading! 💙

•••

ix | DISTRACTION

It wasn't long until the two spent their time at a local restaurant, chatting like usual. Karina asked how Aphro and the rest of the group were doing and Mason, in return, inquired about Tatiana and Al. After the scrumptious food they had taken, Mason offered to take Karina to a nearby amusement park.

It's not that she hated places like this, but she was never a fan of big crowds, it made her angsty. But she couldn't bring herself to tell Mason that, could she?

She wiped her lips with the table napkin and hid her discomfort with a force smile, thanking the gods above that Mason did not see through her.

"That sounds delightful. My brothers used to take me to the amusement park whenever I achieve something at school." Karina said, getting up as Mason put a tip on the table.

The two tramped towards the exit, engrossed in exchanging a part of their life. Although, there was no agreement, but with Mason, Karina feels like it was a natural thing to do.

"Wait. How many sibs do you have, exactly?" Mason opened the door for her as they trudged their way outside.

The day already retreated. The lambent sea and the rushing sound of the waves reverberated through their ears, and not far from their location was the towering view of the amusement park that Mason mentioned. The sky was painted a swirl of orange and red, where stars began to litter the sky like a canvas.

Since it was near, they decided to travel by foot and leave the car near the restaurant. The streets were lined up with lamps and large trees, but there were people walking by and minding their own businesses so it was no problem.

"Four. I'm the youngest." Karina answered and hummed softly.

Mason nodded, taking the information in. "Cool. Where are they now?"

"Work."

"Oh."

There was a pregnant pause between them and Karina didn't seem to mind. Her steps were more careful this time, her posture tense. Karina was not sure if it was the cold evening breeze or something else. There was something wrong- and she didn't like it one bit.

"Hey."

She blinked out of her reverie as soon as two fingers snapped in front of her. Mason was casting her a worried glance and motioned that they were already at the entrance.

"You sure you're alright? I could get you home if you're not feeling well."

Nice job, idiot. She reprimanded herself. She had to remember that this was Mason, and nothing was going to happen, and tried to brush off the sinking feeling.

She shook her head and smiled. "No. I'm fine. Come on, let's go."

To say the park was crowded was an understatement, it was pack with multitudes of people. The two had to wait 15 minutes to ride the roller coaster. Although, the two were busy chatting that they did not mind the time. Karina almost forgot her worries back at home. After three more rides, they decided to take a rest.