Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO:

i wanna be the one to walk in the sun
________________________________________

"CAN I GET YOU GUYS something to start with?" The kind, elder woman smiled at the teens. She quickly wiped her hands against her dirty apron and pulled out her notepad. Maria glanced at Mario, who was nose deep in the menu. She was still slightly in disbelief he managed to convince her to get breakfast (or now rather lunch) with him.

"I think I'll get a short stack of pancakes and a side of bacon." He said slamming the menu shut playfully and handing it off to the waitress. They both turned at Maria, who has yet even bothered to look at the menu.

"I'll have the same." Maria quickly passed her menu up too, before folding her hands right in front of her. Once the waitress walked away to place the orders, Mario tried a few times to start a conversation—but Maria couldn't understand why. She's never really had a one-night stand before, but she was more than positive they didn't lead to breakfast the next day.

Her phone vibrated on the table besides her, and she glanced at it seeing the screen light up. Maria frowned seeing the picture: it was her and ex-boyfriend with an extremely overused Snapchat filter on. Mario noticed her sudden change in mood, and glanced at her phone.

"Is that your boyfriend?" God, he hoped it wasn't. He really wasn't trying to be the reason that they break up. Maria shook her head.

"Just an ex," She replied exhaling through her nose. Maria reached out and dismissed the calling, now turning her attention to the small jukebox on the table. Mario decided it was best not to press her on the topic. "Not gonna' lie, this pretty cool." She moved closer down the booth to get a look at the song choices.

Surprisingly they were all popular hit songs from the 80's.

Maria skimmed through the song selections, surprised that so many were her favorites: Prince, The Bangles, Michael Jackson we're just a few to name.

"Man I love 80's music." Maria stated gleefully digging through her small wallet for a nickel to put in.

I know, is what Mario wanted to say—but he decided against it. Her claiming her love for everything 80's and retro was one of the first things she mentioned the night before. He was honestly surprised that she didn't seem to remember half the things he did.

"Me too." Mario agreed, dropping a nickel into the small jukebox, beating her too it. "Choose a song?" He gave her a small smile.

"Anything Cyndi Lauper." Maria stated grabbing her glass of water and taking a sip from it. Mario nodded flipping the songbook in search of something. After a few seconds, Cyndi Lauper's 'Girls Just Want To Have Fun' played throughout the empty dinner. "I love this song."

Mario caught himself staring at Maria as she nodded her head to the music, singing the words softly with her eyes shut. She was breathtaking.

Maybe one-night stands weren't for him, if he was going to feel like this after every girl.

After Angelica broke his heart (and stomped on it), he swore off having a real relationship with anyone else for sometime. He spent so long pawning after Angelica (since 7th grade to be exact) that he just needed time to find himself. Although, after having his first one-night stand, he wasn't sure if he was just a "hit and ditch" kind of guy.

Especially when they looked and acted like Maria.

Was he really growing feelings for her, or was it just left over and pent up sexual frustration from the summer. Who knew? But Mario was definitely willing to find out, and let her destroy him.