Chapter Seventeen

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN †
"don't think your falling
if everybody wants you!"

MARIA SIGHED GRATEFULLY, taking a much needed seat on the Martinez's front stairs

MARIA SIGHED GRATEFULLY, taking a much needed seat on the Martinez's front stairs. Freeridge was a five-hour drive from Berkeley, and the leather of Mario's front seats were really getting to her. The young woman sighed while rubbing her hands over her arms a few times nervously.

Sitting outside Mario's childhood home, alone, was doing nothing to sooth her nerves. He swore it would be best if he went in first and talked to his parents privately, rather than ambushing them.

Maria trusted Mario on this, but waiting only made her stomach churn.

It wasn't as if she was having second thoughts about finally meeting Mario's family and telling them about the baby, it just the time didn't seem appropriate anymore. Just a few weeks ago, she was consoling a mourning Mario—him crying over the loss of a family-friend, and the injury of his younger brother.

She was sure news about the baby would just be too much for the family.

"My baby!" Maria smiled hearing a loud and surprised voice, followed by a light thundering of feet and cheers. That alone wiped away all Maria's nerves. The Martinez's were a good, strong family—a type of support Maria knew she needed in her life.

At first, she was unsure about skipping on seeing her family during the holiday break—but her family was still silent to her. No returned calls or messages except from Carlos, and as much as Maria didn't want to admit, it was finally all starting to get to her.

The sound of the metal gate moving pulled Maria from her thoughts. She looked up seeing an unfamiliar teen girl approach her. She was dressed quite formally, making Maria wondered if she should have dressed up too.

Her dark jeans, maternity blouse, and slip-ons were nothing in comparison to the teen's maroon dress and heels.

"Excuse me," She said politely, giving Maria a chance to stand up and move aside. She looked obviously confused, but said nothing as she passed by.

Maria understood how suspicious it must've looked, sitting on a strangers porch late on New Years Eve. But, hopefully the teen wouldn't think too hard about it.

"Y'all know there's a pregnant girl on your porch?"

DINNER WAS TOUGH, but that was expected. The whole time Maria felt everyone's eyes on her—making her feel more like an alien than a (unexpected) guest. Mario did do his best to carry the introduction along, talking about how they met (the pg-version) and how school was going.