Chapter Eighteen

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN †
"you don't have to answer,
leave them hanging on the line!"

⇰ CHAPTER EIGHTEEN †"you don't have to answer, leave them hanging on the line!"

AT FIRST, Maria was worried where the two would stay. It was obvious, even after the New Year's celebration, Ruben Sr. and Geny were hesitant on allowing Maria and Mario to stay.

Thankfully, that teen Jasmine, suddenly took a strong liking to Maria (only after she threatened the girl with a brick—long story), managed to get Geny to be a little more open to their situation.

"Ruby!" Geny called out, walking through the living room and towards the dining room table. "Mass is in twenty minutes!" The older woman wore a long dress with a bright cardigan, perfect for a Sunday Mass. It was a few seconds before Ruby appeared out from his room, not dressed for church.

"I'm not going," He said moving towards the table—where Maria was awkwardly sitting. The pregnant woman had a couple poptarts plated out for her and a cup of tea (which she had to thank Mario's grandmother for). Despite already staying at the Martinez's for a few days, Maria was still hesitant on doing or touching anything in the house.

She kept her back towards Geny and Ruby, not wanting to intrude on their conversation.

"Are you sick?" Geny leaned down worriedly, pressing the back of her palms against Ruby's head to check for his temperature. Ruby shook his head 'no'. "In pain?" He shook his head 'no' once more. "Oh—you constipated again?" This definitely wasn't the type of talk Maria expected to overhear during breakfast.

"No, ma'. I just don't feel like going." The young teen detest.

"Oh you're going!"

"Why? She's not going," He detested, taking a seat besides Maria—ultimately dragging her into the conversation. She pushed her plate over to Ruby, allowing him to take a poptart for himself.

"Oh—" Maria swallowed hard, unsure if she should say anything. "I'm atheist." She nervously wiped her hands on her pajama pants.

"And not part of our family." Ouch. "Get dressed and get into the car, now."

"Why do I have to swear allegiance to something that comes out of a fake country in Italy?" Ruby snapped, placing his half-eaten poptart back onto the plate.

"What happened to you?" Geny asked sadly, not recognizing her own teen son.

"I almost died! And Olivia did, and I just don't believe if there's a God, He would let something like that happen."

"Okay, okay—you don't have to come. But I'll see you after for menudo." She said sternly.

"Probably not, I gotta' help Jamal out with something."

"No you're not. If you can't hang with Jesus, you can't hang with Jamal." Maria couldn't handle listening to this any longer, sure she wasn't doubting Geny's motherly intuition—but Ruby was obviously going through something.