Mas Adelante - Chapter Nine

"Hey, sorry homie I was in a math test when you called, everything okay?" Cesar entered the back yard, looking around. He had cut the grass and thrown trash away.

"Mario's brother stopped by." Oscar threw an old bike tire into a trash bag, looking up at Cesar who continued walking towards him.

"Oh, Ruby." He said, "what did he want?"

"Uh." Oscar stood still for a second, breathing in through his nose, "he had a couple of things to say about Lola."

Cesar laughed, helping his brother toss trash into the bag. "What'd she do this time?"

Oscar shook his head, "it's what she didn't do."

Cesar raised an eyebrow, confused. "huh?"

"She didn't tell me that the hijo de puta that took care of her while she was in the system was taking advantage of her, abusing her." He threw the black bag down, angry. "Did you know Cesar?"

He began to shake his head, "no, mano. I didn't."

"I don't know what to do," Oscar swallowed, looking down at Cesar. "If I should talk to her about it or wait til she comes to me."

"That's tough." His little brother stuck his hands in his pocket, "cause if she doesn't want to talk about it she's gonna throw a fit and run away."

He nodded, "you're right." He pinched his lips together, exhalingthrough his nose. "Who knows what goes on in them streets when she's gone, she's a baby girl and any of these putos could..." he stopped, looking up. "I should've never sent her away."

Cesar shifted on his feet awkwardly, unsure of what to say.

"It should've been you." He pointed at him.

Cesar gawked, shaking his head softly.

"That would've never happened if she stayed with me."

"So now it's my fault?"

Oscar snapped, "it's always been your fault!"

Cesar's face fell, defeated.

"You came up with this plan for us to get her back after I turned eighteen. You should've been the one to go, you knew I was going to get her anyways. She didn't know about your stupid elaborate plan, she thought I abandoned her."

"Oscar I–"

"Nah homie." He shook his head, "this shouldn't have happened." He pulled a rag from his pocket, wiping his hands. "My baby sister shouldn't have gone through that."

He threw the rag on the ground and walked away, leaving Cesar pouting.

"Why are you sitting on my couch and not in a school desk?" Oscar shut the door behind him, walking toward the kitchen.

"I got bored." She mumbled, changing the channel on the tv.

After washing his hands and grabbing a water bottle, Oscar sat next to her, his arm behind her.

"Why are you so close to me?" She side eyed him, surfing through the channels.

"I started cleaning the yard mama." He nudged her, "you find a dress yet?" He took a big sip of his water before setting it on the coffee table.

"Oh!" She cheered and Oscar smiled. "Can my dress be pink?"

She pulled out her phone, pulling up a picture.

He grinned when he saw the super sparkly dress, "it can be whatever color you want."

"Okay." She dragged out, squinting her eyes at him. "Where's my brother?"

"I'm right here." He laughed, "where's my sister?"

She laid back against him, sighing. "With mom."

He frowned, kissing her head. "I miss her too."

She nodded, "I know."

"But I need my lil sister here, to keep me entertained."

She punched him, sitting up. "I'm not your entertainer." She crossed her arms.

"No te enojes." He chuckled softly before becoming completely serious, nodding at her. "How are you hermanita? Really."

She nodded softly. "I'm okay, it's still hard not seeing her everyday."

He wrapped an arm around her, "yeah."

"But I think she's happy." She said, "because I am."

"I'm glad." He grinned, "you know you can talk to me about anything right?"

She stood, realizing. "What are you talking about?"

He furrowed his eyebrows, sitting up. "What?"

"What did Ruby say to you?"

He chuckled, "who?"

"Oscar quit playing with me. We both know you're not a pendejo. Tell me what Ruby said to you."

Oscar thought fast, scratching his eyebrow. "He wants to be your main chambelan."

Lola set her hands on her hips, lifting her chin suspiciously. "Really?"

Oscar nodded, "yup, yeah." He chuckled nervously, trying to convince himself of the lie. "So, looks like you got yourself a chambelan lil mama."

"Are you sure that's all he—"

Oscar stood, walking away.

"Great talk." She clapped her hands together, then ran a hand through her hair. "Ruby's dead."