chapter 8

Suddenly, it was as if he had never thrown me into the wall, I had to get up and try to help. Ryan's not dead, he isn't dead. I shoved him out of my way and I pushed the door open. I started down the concrete stairs, completely ignoring the throbbing pain in my elbow, and looked for Ryan. I couldn't find his car. Ryan was nowhere to be found, the only thing that was left behind was his cell phone and it was near my front door. I picked it up and slid it in my pocket, I had to find him. I gave one last try to look for him, but I couldn't find anything. No one was on the streets at all, no sign of anyone passing or anything. The silence was deafening.

I heard Alex come up right behind me, "No luck?"

"Where is he, Alex?"

"Do you really think I'm going to tell you that, Raine?"

"Well, now I know he's not dead."

He frowned, he just slipped a secret, "It's going to be like he's dead, you're not going to see him ever again."

I held all my anger back to try and not kill him right then and there, "If you want me to stay here with you, you are going to tell me where Ryan is."

"Was that a threat?" He smirked.

"No, that was a promise Alex. Now tell me where he is," I started to yell.

"No, I'm good. I think you're kind of cute when you're mad."

"Well, I think you're crazy." Was the only witty thing I could think of to say, I mentally slapped myself for not saying something harsher.

"Wow, harsh. That hurts me so much."

I shoved him out of my way and ran back into the apartment. I started to pull all the drawers out, there had to be something somewhere. I pulled out every drawer and dumped everything out of every single one of them. I walked across the tile in the kitchen to the cold, hardwood floor of my bedroom. I quickly locked the door behind me and I started to walk over towards the dresser and I heard a creak. One of the floorboards was loose, smiling to myself, I quickly got down on my knees and started to pry at the board with my fingers. Slowly I started to pull it up and I saw a small box.

I pulled the box up out of the floor and examined it. It was dark brown with black lining across the top of it. I opened it and just stared down in shock, it had bullets in it. Bullets that went into my pistol, he had hidden all my bullets. Then underneath the bullets was a picture, I turned it over and there was Alex in front of a grave with my family. My mouth dropped open in shock, it was the exact same picture that I found in my closet. Except, this time Alex was in it. I studied the faces in the pictures, we, if that was even me in the picture, all had the same exact expression as the first picture.

"Raine, open the door right now!!" He yelled.

I ignored him and moved all my stuff in my closet so I could find the picture of the funeral. I finally found it hiding behind a few of my jeans that were on the floor. I took it back to the original one and examined them. I noticed that one side of the photo from my closet had been cut out, the side that Alex was on. Alex had been cut out of that photo; but why would he be cut out? I turned Alex's photo over and noticed there was writing on it,

Alexis Dunn... may she rest in peace.

I don't remember going to this funeral and I definitely don't remember having that outfit at all.

I waited until Alex calmed down and then I put everything back up. I walked normally into the living room and I saw him on the couch. Knowing Alex wasn't going to tell me where Ryan was at the moment, I decided to ask him questions instead. He had to tell me where Ryan was sooner or later.