chapter 16

Alex:

It hurt. I won't say it didn't. I can't just pretend there is a ten-foot wall around me at all times and nothing is able to penetrate it. I spent all of my time, money and poured my soul into making her mine knowing it would probably end up like this. She deserved the truth, she did. But she didn't let me tell her the whole truth. 

There's a reason she faked suicide, and it wasn't because of me. It was entirely her choice. Her mother was a psychopath and Raine was planning her suicide far before her fall in the hospital. Her mother was emotionally and physically controlling her existence, and the only way we decided out was death, or at least fake death. 

"Listen to me, Alexis," I started, holding her face near my chest, "I will get you out of this. You do not deserve this. I will make sure you never see her again."

I could barely hear her through her sobs, "Alex, please. I'm never going to get out. She won't let me."

I tilted her chin up so she could see me, "I promise you, Alexis, I will spend my entire life ensuring that your mother or the men she sees will never hurt you again. Give me a day to plan things out. You are getting out tonight. I will make sure of it."

Tears were falling out of her soft, brown eyes, "please don't leave me Alex. I need you."

"I will always be there for you," I wrapped my arms tightly around her and let her cry. 

And she doesn't remember any of it and is currently on her way to her mother's house right now. She didn't want to see me again, and I can make that possible, but not without making sure she was okay first.

I pulled out my phone and dialed the familiar number, and sighed, hoping they would pick up. 

"What do you want?" Ryan's voice came through the speaker, he definitely sounded full of resentment.

"I need you to do me one last favor, and if you do this, I will leave both of you alone forever," I started, "this ensures Raine's safety."

"Where is Raine?" Ryan sounded desperate and as much as I loved hearing his desperation, I needed Raine to be okay.

"I'm going to tell you where and I need you to make sure she leaves promptly."

"Okay, tell me."

"She's on her way to her mother's right now and I'm telling you, there's a reason she never found her parents again, it's because I made it impossible until now. I made a mistake. I gave her the address. I need you to make sure she leaves quickly."

"Why the hell would I do that, Alex?" Ryan had a short temper and didn't really listen properly, ever.

"Her mother is abusive and controlling, she wanted away from her. She didn't remember that after the fall and I didn't want her to relive the memories, so I didn't tell her. Her mother is going to draw her in and make sure she never leaves again."

"So, you want me to meet her there and make sure she leaves after a couple of days? You don't want her to know anything about her mother?"

"I'm going to take care of her mother and make sure she never bothers her again, but I need you to be there for her when it happens. I know you love her Ryan. She's yours. I will not bother either one of you ever again, just please do this for me."

"You don't normally beg, it's interesting hearing it," I could almost hear his smirk.

"Well, I am now. I didn't call to catch up with you. I called to ask you to protect someone you love, are you capable of it or not?" I was starting to get irritated. 

"Yes. I will do it. Send me the address," he quickly hung up, leaving me in silence.