Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Delaney awoke very warm and blissfully contended, their unclothed bodies pressed together under the duvet. Fin's arms and legs were entangled with hers, and she lay in silence watching his peaceful expression while he slept. After a few moments he began to stir.

"Ever have a really creepy feeling that someone is staring at you while you're sleeping?" His voice was heavy with sleep.

She giggled. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"You'll have to be punished," he said dryly. "It's the only option." And before she had a chance to react he'd quickly tickled her sides, immobilizing her, before sliding on top of her. She squealed loudly. He looked down into her eyes. "Good morning," he said over her loud laughing.

"It is a good morning." She was smiling so hard she thought her cheeks might crack.

He leaned forward, his lips meeting hers gently at first, but quickly hastening in need. She squirmed beneath him. He pushed up with his arms, and the cool air hit her body, the absence of his touch chilling her immediately. He took her in with his eyes.

"You're the most beautiful thing I've ever seen," he whispered.

"I seriously doubt that!" She snorted. "I looked like a hot mess last night...it's probably more like a train wreck this morning."

He smiled. "Hardly. You're perfect, to me." He leaned his weight to one elbow, exploring her with his fingertips. She giggled as he gently caressed her. "So you're ticklish, then?"

"Nope, not at all." She fought laughter as he continued to trace patterns around her breasts and onto her stomach.

His expression sobered as he examined her. His lips followed his fingers, trailing kisses down her body. She moaned and writhed beneath him as he moved down further, exploring her with his mouth and tongue. Her body exploded with sensations unlike anything she'd ever experienced before. She grabbed at him, pulling him up so that the full lengths of their bodies were pushed together.

"I need you," she said as she curled her legs around his.

"I love you," he whispered. "More than you know. Definitely more than I should." He crushed his lips to hers before she could respond.

Later as she lay on her back with Fin's leg and arm thrown over her; they remained in contented silence for a while. Delaney broke it first after her mind had busily raced, refusing to allow her to fully relax. She could feel her heart quicken and her mouth becoming dry. She swallowed hard. "I love you, too," she whispered.

He raised his head and looked her in the eye. "So this is what happiness feels like." He smiled his crooked smile at her.

"Maybe." She smiled back.

"Maybe?" He feigned shock and horror. "It's time for your punishment." He waggled his fingers playfully at her before moving in to tickle her ribs.

She squealed loudly. "Fin!"

"Are you ticklish here?" He reached down by her hipbones and gave a squeeze. She hooted with laughter.

"Laney?" The door to the basement creaked open.

Her blood ran cold. "Oh no!" Delaney whispered.

Fin flew off of her and was rustling around in search of his clothes.

"Just a second!" She screamed in a strangled voice. "I'll be right up."