Chapter 8- Trial In Motion 1/2

They all walked in silence to their respective podiums. They were arranged in a circle so everyone had a view of everyone. It didn't seem like anyone was going to say anything until Miu spoke up,
"Can we just vote already?! I mean the evidence speaks for its fucking self!"
"No! I believe Shuuichi, he didn't do it!" For the unteenth time Miu fell silent. "So let's go over what we know for certain,"

"Well this is a change, Kaito taking over the class trial! Guess you're all screwed." The bear chortled nearly falling of its seat.
"Shut it!"
"Well we know that the world was split into two halves by a river and the loading screen," Kiibo piped up, holding up a finger on each hand to represent the halves. "And we know that anyone on the church side couldn't have gotten over to the house side because the bridge was gone, meaning that anyone who was on the house half has to be the culprit." He surveyed the group as though he was using some kind of built in scanner to find which of them was guilty.

"It's true that we couldn't get back across due to the bridge being gone, but is the murderer really someone from the house side?" Himiko spoke sadly, "I don't believe anyone there or over the church side would have killed Kokichi... even if he was annoying..."
"But that's the point isn't it? You can't trust anyone in this killing game, anyone is possible of murder and we have seen that firsthand." It was what they had all been thinking, but didn't want to believe. Maki sighed, "we should continue."
"Yes... well Kokichi was obviously killed by the poison, we found the bottle next to him..."
"Obviously." He cut off Tsumugi, not taking his focus of her, "yeah you would know, wouldn't you." Tsumugi wore a blank expression and answered awkwardly,

"We all saw it, and Kokichi's symptoms matched the ones described by the bottle... please I'm just saying what we know." Shuuichi glowered at her. How could she act so innocent?
"Right." He spoke impatiently. He couldn't start accusing her right away, that would look extremely suspicious and would likely just revert the target back on him.

"So that means the murder took place in the real world and not the virtual one." Maki spoke up keeping one eye on Shuuichi. "But that also places those who left the world in suspicion." The only people who had left the world were Kaito -who was forced- and the murderer.
"Wait But the only ones on Miu's sheet that logged out were Kaito and Shuuchi!" Gonta cried hands going to his mouth, "No!"

"It wasn't Kaito and I have proof." Shuuchi waved trying to get Gonta to calm down so he could speak. His own testimony wasn't important at this point. The only thing that mattered at this moment was getting suspicions off Kaito. He pulled out the full poison bottle and the one left at the crime scene. "The warnings on the back suggest that once ingested in large quantities as this one shows," he nodded towards the one with the bloodied label that was almost empty of liquid, "it only takes 20 minutes at most for it to kill the taker because it is quite potent." He gulped, and put down the little bottles.

"Kaito came back over 40 minutes before Kokichi died right?" Kiibo said, taking over from him. "So he would have died way earlier if it was Kaito."
"Wow dude, thanks!" The voice belonged to Kaito who looked astounded.
"But that doesn't put Shuuichi in the clear, he's just as fucking guilty as he was at the beginning of the trial!" a loud and obnoxious voice rang around the room. Why was Miu being so aggressive towards him? She had been extremely nice to him up to the start of the investigation. And then it dawned on him why Miu might be acting like this. He had persuaded her to not kill Kokichi, and then a while later she finds evidence that presents him as the culprit. She probably had no idea how to feel. Most likely betrayed and confused.

"Miu everything I told you was the truth, I would never kill Kokichi you have to believe me!" Miu bit her lip, surveying him much like Kiibo had done earlier. She opened her mouth tentatively,
"I want to believe you..." she folded her arms across her front awkwardly, "but who could have done it if it wasn't you? You already proved that this idiot couldn't have done it." Kaito was taken aback. He wasn't that much of an idiot that he didn't figure out that Miu was referring to him.
"Oy! I am not an idiot!" Kaito bellowed, causing Himiko to jump at the sudden increase of noise.

"Is there really no way that the data could have been altered?" Miu shook her head,
"No, only the person with the access code can get into the files to change them, in other words, Moi." This wasn't fair. None of this was fair. Tsumugi had made it impossible for him to win. He couldn't prove that she had done it or that he hadn't. His alibi was meaningless as he had been with Kokichi who could not testify for him. Tsumugi had done what she had with Kaede, made her the victim for a crime she never really committed. The only difference this time, was that he knew he hadn't done it. That also meant that the correct culprit for this case was...

"...it has to be me." He mumbled trying to find his voice, "fine, I'll admit it." He had done this earlier today so it shouldn't be that hard to play this manipulative role again. "I thought it would be easy to change your minds about this, but it seems my deduction was proven false for once." He gave a small chuckle, in a way to hide his true feelings. He wanted to cry. To just break down right there, but he couldn't. Kaito slammed the podium he was standing at, eyes fixed on Shuuichi,

"Shuuichi I know you didn't do it! I believe you so don't do this!" His heart was pounding so hard in his chest that it hurt. If they didn't vote for him as the blackened they would all die. That was how Tsumugi had set up this case. Two birds with one stone. She had gotten rid of the people who knew too much. He couldn't let anyone else die because of him... He blinked. 'Because of him'. It really was him that killed Kokichi.
"Don't bother Kaito,"

all of this from the beginning...

"Seems I couldn't get myself out of this one no matter what I said..."

It's all been because of him, his failures and carelessness led to this result.

"Yes, I killed Kokichi."

He deserved this fate, for what he had done to Kokichi and the others. If it was in his power to save them, he would. 

"No!" Four separate voices could be distinguished. Kaito's roar of indignation and fury at Shuuichi, Maki's surprised yell, Himiko's whine and Gonta's deep boom of a voice all echoed around the trial room.
"Oh?" Monokuma sat up straighter in his chair and put a plushed paw to his chin, "is this a split in opinion I see? Well you know what that calls for!" The bear jumped up and whacked a button to his right and the floor began to move. Shuuichi gripped tighter onto his stand and braced himself as they all rose up into the air. This would be the final standoff. He just needed to persuade everyone that he was guilty...