Chapter 37- The Beginning of the End

"What the fuck is going on?!" A shrill cry from the group below him voiced, cutting through his words. Miu looked pale, though she looked to be holding herself as confidentially as always.
"I dunno! but I want some answers!" Tenko growled and in spite of himself Shuuichi stiffened. He hadn't really been on the receiving side of one of Tenko's glared and he couldn't say that he liked it one bit.

"And you'll get them." He said patiently, "despite what the bear said," he glanced at Monokuma's seething expression and continued, "you will not be killing each other... yet." As he had hoped Monokuma's scowl lessened slightly, but didn't completely fade. Shuuichi hadn't expected it to. He had ruined the surprise factor of the game and even outed himself as a key player in the killing game.
"Nyeh...! What do you mean 'yet'?" Himiko moaned, her eyes wide and staring at Shuuichi.

"I mean, I'm going to give you all a chance to-"
"We don't need your chance!" Kaito bellowed, his fists raised at Shuuichi in an aggressive manor. "You don't look too tough," he sniffed heartily, "I bet I could take you on no problem, then all of us would be free to leave." Shuuichi frowned at him. He should've expected Kaito to rebel against him. It wasn't like him to sit and let something like this happen in front of him without interfering. But it wasn't like Shuuichi could stand and watch Kaito ruin this opportunity he had to finally end the killing game either. He was about to answer when Kokichi opened his mouth first.

"I see... so I guess your hair really isn't hiding much." Kokichi said lazily, his eyes lidded with loathing as he approached Kaito.
"What's that supposed to mean?!" Kaito spat. Kokichi didn't recoil, but tilted his head, a small grin twisted onto his angelic features,
"It means there ain't much there, space boy." Kokichi sung, pointing a slender finger at Kaito's head, "it's just empty space~" Kaito looked about to hit Kokichi, but thankfully Kaede stepped in between them with what Shuuichi thought to be an immense amount of courage.
"That's enough." She said glaring at the pair of them, "we won't get anywhere by fighting."

"Exactly my point." Kokichi said, "this buffoon is gonna end up getting all of us killed." He continued bitterly, "I know your head is dense, but I thought you would still be able to recognise that this isn't a normal situation, you can't go punching whatever the hell you feel like and hope for the best." There was a silence that followed Kokichi's words and after a long pause it was finally broken by a reluctant groan from Kaito,
"Fine."
"Continue." Shuuichi gave a start and saw Kokichi looking at him, his face set.

"O-oh, well I'm going to give you all 2 weeks to try and figure out everything about this place, if you successfully do this, you'll all get to leave this place... if you don't the killing game will start." He ignored Monokuma who was death staring him out of the corner of his eye and looked around the room at his classmates.
"So all we gotta do is find out how we got here and shit?" Miu let out a breath and looked far more relieved than she had earlier, "well that's fucking easy! We'll all remember soon enough anyway."
"I don't think it will be that simple..." Maki answered, her face dark, "our lives are in the wager, I'm sure he wouldn't make it that easy."

Shuuichi personally thought that if he could make it that easy, he happily would've. The problem with making this too simple would be dealing with whoever was in charge of Danganronpa and on a more local issue, Monokuma.
"So you're saying we're royally fucked?! Geez buy me dinner first why don't ya!"
"That is crude." Kiyo murmured offhandedly, looking in the opposite direction to Miu,
"A-anyway, unless you still have something to tell us, I think we should start by exploring this place." Her words were directed at Shuuichi.

"Umm..." what did Monokuma usually say at this point in time, "oh! In your pockets should be a device called a 'Monopad', it has the layout of the school, also your dormitories are outside." He stopped for a second to think, "I think that's it."
"Alright." Kaede answered and turned away. Shuuichi couldn't help but feel a pang of sadness, this was going to be an extremely lonely couple of weeks. He watched the rest of his classmates leave and once they were all out of sight he turned to Monokuma who was still beside him.
"What the hell was that all about?!" Shuuichi grimaced in response. He had planned for this,
"If we keep doing the same shit over and over again the audience is going to get bored," he said matter of factly. Monokuma looked sceptical, but didn't retort so he continued, "I think something different to spice things up is never a bad thing, and this way we can see them fall into despair the longer they fail to find the truth."

"You've set a giant target on your back, and I don't just mean with your 'classmates'~" he cackled and skipped off, disappearing from his sight.

————————

Shuuichi had miscalculated how awkward it would be to see his classmates. He had been forced to walk passed at least 4 of them on his way to his dorm room. They had mostly ignored him or threw him looks and he tried his best to ignore it. This was going to become normal soon enough. He had brought this upon himself.

When he finally closed his door he looked around. His short lived relief of being alone seemed to crumble into nothing. The whole room looked like it had been turned upside down. Objects that he remembered to have been sitting on drawers or table tops were tossed unceremoniously across the length of the room.
"What the-" he didn't even get to finish his sentence before there was a crashing noise and a large figure appeared from just beyond his view, a smaller one following.

"Oh hey! Didn't think you'd come here so quickly. Oops." Shuuichi gaped stupidly at Kokichi who didn't seem at all phased by his arrival and if anything looked to be more excited, "Gonta and I were just having a poke around, you can just pretend we're not here~" He simpered sweetly, turning back to his searching.
"G-Gonta doesn't mean to be trouble, Ouma said we should search for clues and wanted Gonta to help as well."

"Right..." Shuuichi groaned, but didn't make any attempt to stop them. There might be something in here he didn't know about. If there was any sort of clue, he wanted everyone to find it. His plan depended on it. The only problem he had with them searching was the mess they were making. He was almost certain that they had no intention- or at least, Kokichi had no intention- of cleaning up.

"You find anything?" Shuuichi voiced after a long moment of silence. This was something he was genuinely interested about. He hadn't had the chance to have a look around himself. There had to be something hidden in here.
"Maybe, bet you wanna know, huh?" Kokichi cooed and stood up rockily from the bed and hopped down so he was on level with Shuuichi, "honestly, I didn't come here to find anything." Shuuichi blinked back, a frown creasing his forehead.

"But Gonta said-" Shuuichi began, but Kokichi interrupted him with a smirk,
"Yeah and do you remember who we're talking about? Gonta would believe such a blatant lie." Gonta didn't even seem to hear Kokichi as he kept looking over the bookshelf positioned next to Shuuichi's bed.
"That still doesn't explain why you wanted to come here."
"You're still the ultimate detective, right? Figure it out~" he grinned mischievously, "well I've gotten what I came here for, Gonta let's go." Gonta gave a start at the mention of his name and cocked his head,

"But we haven't-"
"Just come alright." Kokichi said a little firmer and Gonta nodded, backing himself off the bed and back onto solid ground. "Right! See you!" Kokichi said with an enthusiastic wave at Shuuichi and skipped out of the room, Gonta in tow. Shuuichi saw the door finally slam shut after Gonta and there was finally silence. That had been bizarre. He should've expected someone to search his room eventually, but for it to happen this quick? And not to mention Kokichi being behind it. And hadn't Kokichi also mentioned his ultimate talent?

He took another look around the room warily. The mess seemed unnecessary if anything. It seemed like Kokichi had had too much fun and had been tossing objects for the fun of it. He might've found this a little endearing if not for the fact that he was going to have to clean up after him. He sighed and began to pick up everything that was lying on the ground and replaced them back to their original spots. It didn't take too long, but by the end of it he felt physically and mentally exhausted.

What did the next couple of weeks have in store for him? Would his classmates be able to find out everything in time. Would he be able to help without it getting too suspicious? He doubted they would be able to without some kind of help. With the secret room in the library for a first. Then it dawned on him. At this stage only the first and half of the second floor were open. They didn't have a hope of figuring out much with only a small portion of the school to explore. To open the new floors and areas there were a series of objects that needed to be placed in specific areas.

He had something to do. Shuuichi felt a rush of motivation. He had a job that would benefit everyone. He just needed to somehow get these items to give to his classmates. He would not let them down.

-

AN: I just wanted to say HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! I've had so much fun writing this and seeing everyone's amazing comments!! It really makes all of this a whole lot more fun :) I seriously can't believe that it's nearly on 50k reads! Like that just seems insane!! Anyways I really hope all of you continue to like the story and know that I love you all 💕💕💖