Chapter 8- 2/2

The podiums stopped, facing the opposing side. Shuuichi forced himself to look up at those who were defending him, guilt ridden.
"What about Shuuichi's alibi, he has to have something!" Himiko said, wide eyed and pleading,
"no one saw him after we all dispersed until he turned up with news of Kokichi's death." Tsumugi refuted causing Himiko's face to fall sadly.
"Shuuichi wouldn't lie to us!" Gonta shouted,
"He's said many contradictory things today, it's impossible for him to have not lied." Miu scoffed turning her head away.
"We haven't looked through all the evidence we need to search more." This time it was Maki that spoke,
"No matter how we look at it no one else could have left the world to commit the murder, the evidence we have won't contradict that fact." The next refute came from Kiibo and Maki returned this statement with a murderous glare.

There was only one person left to speak and it was the person he had been most worried about. Kaito began to talk, his words directed directly at Shuuichi,
"Why would you kill Kokichi? You two seemed to be getting along great, so why would you Shuuichi?"
Why? Why...

"Why?" He needed to get a grip, he couldn't show weakness now, "isn't it obvious?" He stared straight back at Kaito firmly, "because I want to get out of here." Kaito raised an eyebrow,
"Then why make it so simple?" He jested sardonically, "why leave such incriminating evidence if you really wanted to leave?" Shuuichi looked away and to Monokuma below them.
"Maybe a part of me wanted you to figure it out... Monokuma start the voting." The stands they were stationed on began to descend back down to the ground.

"Voting time? Already?! This has to be the fastest class trial in history! Well everyone cast your vote for who you think the blackened is!" Shuuichi moved a shaky hand over to the dial and turned it until is was hovering over Tsumugi's picture. This would be his way of saying the real killer. Even if no one understood or believed it, it was still a nudge in the right direction. He pushed the dial hard to place his vote and waited, not looking at anyone.

"And the culprit iisssss..." The bear prolonged the last word for effect, "Correct! The Ultimate Detective Shuuichi Saihara!" Shuuichi looked up to see the votes, 6 votes him, his vote for Tsumugi and... he looked over at Kaito to find him staring back at him a deadset expression on his face. 1 vote for Kaito... "This reminds me of this one book I read... you know the one where the culprit of the murder is actually the detective investigating it the whole time?! Excellent read!" Shuuichi turned his head slightly and was met with a smug look. The blue haired girl didn't seem to care that he had voted for her, she was much too satisfied that he was going to be gone for good. No longer meddling with her precious killing game.

"Ahem! I've prepared a very special punishment for our Ultimate Detective here. So let's give it everything we've got! It'sss punishment timeee!" He felt his legs begin to give way as he shook violently, he didn't know what was going to happen to him. He could now imagine how all the others had felt. He felt fear wash over him like a tidal wave, making every nerve in his body scream in terror. Suddenly his legs were taken out from under him and straps wound around both his arms, legs and wrists, locking them into place. His back hit a hard slab and found that he was now supported by a wooden backed chair. The floor started creeping away from the middle, where his chair sat teetering.
"Shuuichi!" he felt his heart lift out of his chest. He was falling, the yells of his classmates becoming distant. The pitch blackness swallowed him until he hit solid ground with a loud thump. He shook his head, everything seemed to be in working order more or less. Lights flickered on as if a light switch had just been pushed into life.

'The Final Case'

The words had been scribbled onto a large blackboard that he was now facing. He tried to move, but the straps wouldn't budge, movement only achieving a thin cut along his exposed wrist. Monokuma appeared and pulled a sheet down from the top of the blackboard revealing a couple dozen dashes some separated by a small gap.
"The rules are simple! It's a simple game of hangman, I'm sure you're familiar! If you guess the question and then answer it you get to leave, alive! And I think you know what happens if you don't." Monokuma ran a finger along his neck and laughed coldly.

_ _ _ _     _ _ _     _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _?

So this was hangman? And he had to answer the question? Did that mean that whatever the sentence that this made was the question he had to answer. Before he could say anything he felt something hot on his hand. He looked down to find a deep gash now gushing blood. He winced as the pain finally caught up to him. He couldn't do anything to quell the bleeding either.
"Better be quick~" Monokuma chimed sweetly,

"A."

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ a _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _?

"i"

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ a _ _ _ _ _ i _ _?

"E"

_ _ _ _ _ _ e _ a _ _ _ _ _ i _ _?

"U"
"Wronggg!" He saw something whoosh threw the air and a sudden pain in his leg. He cried out in pain, a large arrow had flown straight through his kneecap shattering it in one go. And then the pain turned to a stabbing throb, his leg had gone numb from his waist down to his toes. He couldn't move it no matter how hard he tried.
"T and H!" He choked and another 2 letters were added to the board, the word 'the' now spelled out in the middle. "O, S, B..." O and S were added to the board, but as soon as he had said 'B' another arrow came flying towards him, this time striking his shoulder. He felt it emerge out the other and the wood behind him splinter as the sharp end prodded the wood threateningly.

Shit! He could feel his vision beginning to fog up. He wasn't going to be able to keep this up much longer. Blood was seeping out of both his wounds so quickly it was frightening.
"M..."

_ _ o's t h e m a s _ e _ m i _ _?

Wait. He tried to keep himself conscious.
"Who's the mastermind?!" He tried to yell, but his voice was weaker than he had expected. "Tsumugi! Tsumugi's the mas..."
"You're too late! Puhuhuhuhu!" There was a rush of air and then it was over... all the pain he had been feeling was gone. He know longer had to feel anything.

No more killings.

No more loss.

No more nothing.

He felt cold. Cold tears running down his face to match. He had lost everything. Kokichi had died because of him, he had even pretended to be his murderer. He let himself fall forwards not caring what happened to him wherever he was. He was dead, that was all he knew. His head hit something colder than ice and he jerked back unexpectedly. He could feel firm ground under his legs. He could feel his leg again. It still throbbed, but there was feeling. He pushed forward with all his remaining strength and toppled into light. He was on all fours face to face with the dusty ground. He gingerly stood up, putting a hand to his shoulder which ached horribly.

"Are you alright?" He froze. That voice. He knew that voice very well. He glanced up to see there was a girl around his age standing there. Her blonde hair falling about her shoulders and she adorned a very musically themed outfit. Shuuichi stepped back from her, shaking his head,
"No."

(AN: Hii so I decided I wanted to have some kind of picture for each chapter to help represent what's happening so I decided to draw a scene from it! I hope you guys like the new idea!)