Chapter 29- Twisted Trial | part 2

"All tasks are now free reign to discuss! No keeping secrets now!" There was a flash of light and words appeared in front of everyone's podiums. Their tasks were being displayed to everyone?! "These might or might not be your tasks, some have been switched for an added fun bonus!" He saw a few of his friends leaning over their podiums to check what they had displayed in front of them and the remainder scanning the room like he was.

As he looked around his gaze stopped on Kokichi. Kokichi didn't even seem interested in what was happening at all. He looked like he was more interested in his fingernails than the class trial. What was he doing? Was he not paying attention because he knew what was going to happen? That behaviour wouldn't be typical of the mastermind though. The mastermind would want to blend better in, right, not be the only one deciding not to participate.

"Kokichi, What was your task?" He could try by testing the waters, maybe Kokichi's response would give him an indication of what was going on in his head.
"My task?" Kokichi cocked his head, smiling slightly at Shuuichi, "it's exactly as it says here," he waved a hand at his podium lazily. He imagined that if Kokichi was lazing around in a chair in front of a blazing fireplace, he would look just as at home there as he was looking right now. He looked way too relaxed during this.
"You haven't even looked at." He said shortly, watching Kokichi's face for any cues he might give off. He heard the boy laugh slightly, a smile flitted across his face,
"None of you would believe me even if I did look, so why should I even bother." He said with a lazy shrug. "And have you really been watching me this entire time Shuuichi? Awww~"

Shuuichi felt his face grow slightly hot, but he pushed that matter to the side for now. So there had been a reason for his actions. Although it wasn't largely fact based, he would have expected something like this from Kokichi. He coughed slightly and averted his eyes from the boy opposite.
"Well there's the obvious elephant in the room." Kiibo announced to the group, his gaze upon the task displayed on Miu's podium. 

'Have Kaito Momota dead by the first trial.'

"It wasn't my task! I didn't kill that space obsessed idiot." Miu shouted desperately,
"Watch your mouth." Maki's voice trailed around the room like some haunting whisper. Miu shrieked loudly, uttering a rushed apology.
"Well we concluded that the culprit must have acted rashly." Kaede said in an attempt to keep the discussion going,
"What makes you say that? We know that the knife was most likely taken in a rush, but rash?" Tenko questioned,
"Well first of all this task was time constrained, the murder HAD to be done first otherwise it would have resulted in the culprits death."
"Also, the way we found the body. It didn't look like the murder was particularly thought out, but rather an act of desperation by the culprit." Shuuichi added with a nod.

"So we are concluding that the task was the murderer's task?"
"Unless this was a stroke of coincidence it has to be the culprits task. We couldn't talk about our tasks to anyone."
"That's false." Ryoma's deep voice boomed, "We have been able to share what our tasks were with each other from the start, what Monokuma told us was a lie."
"A lie?!" Kaede gasped, glancing across to Mokuma who seemed to be watching the goings on of the trial with great interest.

"That's right, Gonta accidentally told me his two days ago, and he's still alive and kicking." everyone turned to Gonta who looked frightened at the sudden mass attention now focused on him.
"Gonta would not kick anyone! And It was an accident, Gonta didn't mean to say..." he held his hands up defensively as though the stares they were giving him were brandishing weapons.
"What was your task Gonta?" Tsumugi asked kindly although she seemed apprehensive of the answer she might get,
"Gonta had to steal one of everyone's belongings," he could almost sense the sigh of relief from Tsumugi and half of the rest of his classmates.
"Gonta told me his task when he asked me if he could 'steal one of my beanies'." Ryoma explained when Tsumugi turned to him, obviously about to question him further.