The Mad Sorting Session

Hagrid finally led the first-years to the lake. Harriet and her friends found an empty boat and climbed inside, quickly joined by Draco and Milli. Soon, all four were treated to their very first glimpse of the famous, and infamous, Hogwarts Castle. They sat in stunned silence as they took in the rising towers, the cobbled walkways, and the numerous shining windows.

Within minutes, they were inside the castle and not so patiently waiting for Professor McGonagall, the deputy headmistress, to return. Their wait was briefly interrupted by an assortment of ghosts, who seemed to be having some sort of argument, but they were spared the gory details by the reappearance of the professor.

The first-years trailed behind McGonagall into the Great Hall and up to a grubby looking hat that was sitting on a three-legged stool: the Sorting Hat.

Harriet's attention was diverted from the enchanted ceiling, which she had read about in Hogwarts: A History but was not going to brag about like the bushy-haired girl she had seen earlier. She focused on the Hat as a hole in the brim appeared.

Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat,
And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on, and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise, old Ravenclaw,
If you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folk use any means
To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!

The names of the students were quickly called, Harriet noting several familiar ones like Bones, Susan, who was Theo's cousin and went to Hufflepuff. There was also Jordan, Jacqueline, who was Gavin's girlfriend and was sorted into Ravenclaw. Soon, it was Harriet's turn.

"Potter, Harriet."

The girl noticed that the normally stern McGonagall had an odd look of anticipation on her face as she stated the name. Further, Harriet noted that most of the teachers seemed to sit up straighter in their chairs, the headmaster actually staring at her in interest.

She steadfastly ignored the whispering that had erupted when her name was called and strode up to the Hat. However, she paused as she neared and offered it a short bow; she wanted to make a good impression, after all. She completed the journey and sat lightly on the stool as a somewhat confused McGonagall dropped the Hat on her head.

"Hmm," said a small voice in her mind, which she knew to be the Sorting Hat. "Difficult, very difficult. But wait... what is this?"

Harriet felt a light and gentle probe in her mind, instantly stiffening on the stool.

"Ah, I see that you have a great gift, youngling."

She was in near panic; she hadn't wanted anyone to know of her mental abilities, but the Hat quickly alleviated her terror.