Halloween Havoc

The days and weeks after that passed in relative peace and with a large helping of homework

The days and weeks after that passed in relative peace and with a large helping of homework. Harriet and Hermione continued to be tutored in wizarding culture, though Theo realised that he didn't really need it so he stopped coming. Percy still helped them, though he often brought in other students to assist because of his increasingly difficult schedule.

Yet, even with her tutoring, the girl still spent the majority of her time with Ron or sometimes Blaise, usually doing schoolwork or reading. Occasionally, they would join their friends, both Gryffindors and otherwise, in other pursuits. While Draco and his two lackeys were often in their Slytherin group, Harriet and he rarely interacted. The girl because she knew that she was right and was unwilling to apologise or yield in her position. Draco because his pride refused to allow him to back down.

Halloween dawned bright, clear, and surprisingly warm the first year of her magical education, not that she really noticed. She was in a huffy mood that morning, having overheard Draco and his goon squad saying nasty things about Neville Longbottom. Her mood only seemed to deteriorate as the anniversary of her parents' deaths wore on. By dinnertime, even Blaise was receiving only one syllable answers to his questions.

The two entered the Great Hall, passing a pair of Gryffindor girls by the doors. Harriet heard a snippet of "...she's been crying in the toilet all day. That Ronald Weasley is such a prat..." before she swept passed the Indian girl and her friend, Lavender, if she remembered correctly. The two sat quietly at their table next to Theo and Gavin, who seemed to prefer their table to Ravenclaw's, and helped themselves to the food.

Harriet barely ate anything. She simply picked at her meal and idly watched the bats flutter about the ceiling.

The meal itself would have been pleasant under different circumstances with its various odd dishes and interesting entertainments, but for some odd reason, Harriet felt increasingly uneasy, agitation that had nothing to do with the anniversary of her elevation to Girl-Who-Lived status or Draco's bullying. She just felt anxious, as though something she dreaded was about to happen, not that she could think of anything in particular that fit the description. It did not help matters that her scar kept prickling every few minutes or that she was rapidly developing a headache.

After a time, deciding that she had had enough, she rose from the table.

Blaise turned to look at her, a question on his face.

"I'm just going to the loo." But what she truly meant was, "I am going to sneak back to the dorms."

Dark eyes studied her before he nodded. "Right. Would you like me to go with you? I can wait outside. Don't forget that the Samhain celebration is supposed to start tonight, so we don't want to miss out." He placed a hand on her shoulder, noticing that she trembled more than normal.