Chapter 13

Jasmine's POV

There are things people are good at. And then there are things people are not. Me, I'm not good at many things. But there's one thing I'm pretty good at.

I'm good at running.

Not just physically, but also hypothetically.

So when I stumbled upon Chris at Andrew's clinic's parking lot, I ran. I ran away from the situation as well as from the confrontation.

Needless to say, I'm a fucking coward. But you can't blame me. I can't disclose my past to the guy I supposedly have a crush on. I don't want him to hate me, naturally. And lying? Let's just say it's the thing that falls in my 'not good at' list.

I was just sitting on my bed, staring aimlessly at the screen of my laptop where another episode of Grey's Anatomy was on. I couldn't concentrate on anything since evening. All I could think about was what was going to happen the next time I met Chris.

I sighed and shut my laptop. I decided not to dwell on something I have no control over. When it happens, it will happen. I went off to sleep, praying I don't get another nightmare.

My prayers were heard as I woke up only the next morning at 7. Feeling refreshed and energetic, something I haven't felt in many days, I decided I will keep this energetic and positive vibe with me today for the whole day. I will not let anything come in my way.

Washing up and getting dressed, I walked downstairs with a sprint.

"Good morning Dad!" I greeted my father and kissed his cheek.

"Good morning Mom." I did the same to her and picked up my bowl of cereals. Looking up from the breakfast table, I noticed them gaping at me. I raised an eyebrow as to ask 'what?'

My father was the first to recover.

"G-good morning sweety. You're up early today." He said.

"Yeah. I feel good today." I smiled and finished my breakfast.

After breakfast, Dad offered to drive me school and I didn't decline. I haven't spent much time with him since he's always away at business.

Driving down to school, we passed by the Robinson's house and just my luck, Chris was out on his yard.

And Dad just had to be extra friendly this morning.

"Good morning son! How's it going?"

Chris looked up from his car and immediately locked eyes with me.

Just my luck.

I ducked my head and pretended to be busy with the loops of my jeans. I could still feel his intense stare at the side of my head though.

"Good morning Sir. I'm great, thank you." His smooth voice sent a shiver down my spine.

Get. A. Grip. Girl.

"Oh stop with this formality. You're family. Call me Dad."

This time I literally choked on air. I coughed and wheezed, and tears sprung out of my eyes.

Dad patted my back and looked at me with concern. I gave him a watery smile and looked past him at the figure standing outside the car. Chris's face, which showed concern just a few seconds back, now smirked.

He knew why I lost my breath. That cheeky bastard.

"I guess she's fine now Dad." He said and smirked at me.

I glared at him and turned my face. Dad and Chris exchanged few more words and then Dad started the car back.

Don't look. Don't look Jas. Don't.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I looked back at Chris and saw him already looking at me.

Dammit girl. Can't you control yourself?

Chris was not smirking or even smiling at me. His intense stare meant only one thing - we have shit to discuss.

I turned my head as Dad drove off.

He dropped me school and kissing my forehead, wished me a good day.

I got out and walked towards my lockers. Reaching there, I was met with a regular scene.

"No you can't you asshole! It's not the rule!"

"Oh fuck the rules. Who even cares?"

"I do! I care. So shut the fuck up and live with it."

I sighed for the nth time. This is getting ridiculous now.

"Guys! Guys! Stop. Enough! Can't you guys just get along?" I exasperated.

Violet huffed and turned her face away childishly. Jasper on the other hand instantly smiled at me and pulled me for a hug.

"Good morning Jasmine. You look beautiful as always."

I blushed. I was never good with compliments. I heard Violet gagging from behind me and rolled my eyes.

"Thank you Jasper. Shall we all head to our classes." I said. "And no Violet, I don't want to know what you guys were fighting about." I stopped her as soon as she opened her mouth. She huffed again and started walking besides me, sulking all the way. I leaned towards her ear and whispered, "Besides I've got almond cookies from the bakery near my house." Her eyes immediately light up and she gave me a toothy grin.

Girls are actually so simple.

The day dragged on as usual. Jasper and Violet bickered as usual but shut up immediately when I reprimanded them. They can sure fight as kids.

After school, I decided to walk home. I was not feeling great so I took a day off from my shift at the bookstore.

The weather was actually quite good for a good walk. As I leisurely strolled down the streets, a car zoomed past me and stopped. I furrowed my eyebrows as it slowly reversed back and then stopped besides me. Getting bad vibes from it, I quickened my pace.

But luck wasn't on my side. The car kept up with me until the last block to my house. Here I made a run for my life.

I had just entered my street when the car stopped and a door slammed shut. And then I heard footsteps nearing me.

And that was the exact moment I decided to trip on thin air and fall face down. I tried to get up and run, but an arm snaked around my waist and held me up. I was about to let out a scream but a hand came over my mouth.

I struggled in my kidnapper's arms but he was much stronger. I thrashed and kicked but in vain. I was hyperventilating and was at the verge of a panic attack. My breaths were coming out in rasps and tears were flowing down my cheeks.

If only I had taken those darn defense classes.

The car door was yanked open and I was thrown inside. I immediately got up and looked around. I was at the backseat.

But fear gripped my heart when I realised I wasn't alone. I slid to one corner of the car and whipped my head to look at the person beside me.

My eyes were full of tears and all I could see were blurry figures. And before I could blink them and get a glimpse of my kidnapper, black dots entered my vision.

And then I passed out.