Chapter 22

Jasmine's POV

"No."

I pushed myself away from Chris as soon as those words came out of his mouth. He looked taken aback and a flicker of hurt reflected in his eyes. But I couldn't believe him.

"No?" Chris frowned and whispered.

"Yeah no. You don't love me Chris. You pity me. Just like everyone else, you pity me." I tried to speak in a strong voice but it cracked at the end.

I thought he didn't pity me. I thought he wasn't like everyone else who thought I need fixing. It broke my heart to see this man, the man I have fallen in love with, tell me he loves me without meaning it. I rapidly blinked my eyes to keep the tears at bay.

"No! No no! No, love. You got it all wrong! I so donot pity you. How can I? I had fallen in love with you long ago, but was holding back because I didn't want to scare you away. The thought of losing you makes me go crazy, love. I don't- I can't lose you." Chris pulled me closer to him and looked directly into my eyes. My breath hitched at the emotions swarming his eyes.

He cupped my face with his large hands and pressed his forehead against mine. "I love you. I love you like I've never loved anyone or anything else. Fuck, I would lose everything but not you sweetheart. Not you. You mightn't love me and that's okay. I'll live with you not loving me. But I won't be able to live with you being upset with me. Don't turn your back to me. Please." His voice broke at the end, pulling at the strings of my heart.

He was genuine. I could see it in his eyes. I wanted to shout to him that I loved him too. So, so much.

But I can't. I can't be so selfish. He deserves so much better.

"You deserve better than me Chris. You deserve someone who donot have a broken past. You deserve someone whose demons won't stop her from taking the important steps in life. You donot deserve me. I'm a broken piece of glass which would only manage to bleed you." I cried.

"Don't." Chris's harsh voice widened my eyes. "Don't tell me I deserve someone else. I want you and no one else. You're everything I ever needed and will ever need. Everyone has a past, even me. But your past makes me fall in love with you more. Your past made you who you are today. This strong, independent woman who has so much kindness and compassion for everyone. In fact, it's me who doesn't deserve you. You're so pure and innocent I don't want to taint you."

I laughed humorlessly. "Me? Pure and innocent? I'm far from that."

"Your virginity doesn't define your purity. You've a pure heart and mind. Your intentions are pure. That defines your purity Princess." Chris kissed my forehead and both of my cheeks.

Tears flowed down my cheeks at his words. No one had told me this until now. Everyone would always say it gets better and that it's not my fault. But Chris is the only person who made me feel that it wasn't my fault. Without thinking the words stumbled out of my mouth.

"I love you too. So, so much."

Chris's eyes widened. "You don't have to-"

I hushed him before he could complete his sentence. "I know what you're going to say. And no, I'm not saying this because you told me first or because I feel like I owe you. I actually love you Chris. Since a long time. But I was scared." I looked down. "I'm still scared. I'm ten years younger to you. You used to be my babysitter. What will people say? What if they term you as a pedophile?" I cried.

"Hey! Look at me." Chris pulled me closer. I looked up at him.

"I know the danger. Why do you think I have been so cautious? I know the consequences of getting public. But I love you so damn much. I can't let you go just because of what people would say. I can't let you go to see you with someone else. You're mine. Now that I know that you feel the same, I definitely won't let you go." Chris said with determination.

"What will our parents say?" I gasped at the sudden realisation. My parents would be downright appalled.

"I love you Jasmine."

I blushed. "Okay stop saying that. I know."

Chris chuckled and wove his arms around my body.

"I will keep saying this. I will keep making you feel that you deserve so much love and appreciation. And we don't have to tell our parents now. We will tell them once you turn 18. No one will tell you anything then. You'll be legal to make your own choices."

I smiled and agreed with him. I knew it wasn't going to be easy. But my past has taught me that no road is ever easy. It all depends on whether we take the risk or not, whether we take the leap of faith or not.

And I decided to take it.

"God! I can finally call you mine, my girlfriend." Chris said and hugged me.

"When did you say I'm your girlfriend?" I teased him.

"Uh uh. You are my girlfriend. There's no backing away now." He said determinedly.

I chuckled and hugged him back. I felt safe and good in his arms.

"I would never let Hunter or anyone else hurt you again. I promise." Chris spoke.

I caressed his face and he leaned to my touch. "I believe you." I whispered.

He gave me a beautiful smile which tugged at my heart.

This man will be the end of me.

I looked at Angie's grave and said, "Would you be upset with me if I dated your brother Angie?"

Chris chuckled beside me and putting and arm around me, pulled my back to his front. "She won't. She would instead jump up and down with happiness."

We laughed and laid there in each other's arms. I looked up at the sky. It was soon going to be noon and the sky was clear today.

I looked at the man besides me and sighed in contentment. I couldn't believe Chris loved me. Me. When he could've had anyone, he chose me to love. I can't get enough of this man. And it's not only because how beautiful he looks right now. It's also because this man dared to love me with all of my broken pieces. His pure heart made me fall in love with him more and more.

Suddenly I realised I don't care about anything else. I don't care what people are going to say. I don't care how they're going to look at us, with judgemental eyes. I don't care because I love Chris. It's the first time in years that something and someone has made me happy. And I wasn't going to trade it for society's harsh glare.

"What's going on inside that little mind of yours, hmm?" Chris's voice brought me out of my trance.

"Nothing."

"I love you Jasmine."

His words instantly put a smile on my face and my heart skipped a beat.

"I love you too Chris."