Greenbrock

When I awoke, my entire body was filled with strange and conflicting sensations. My right side bloomed with pain and felt extremely stiff, yet a feeling of comfort surrounded me. I was lying in a bed, on that much I was sure. The feeling of plush furs below me and draped over the lower half of me soothed my aching body.

I began to stir, my eyes still shut, at the feeling of a damp rag being patted over my forehead. Gently, I flickered my ruby eyes open, a plump older woman with graying yellow hair coming into view. I flinched at the unfamiliar sight, wincing immediately as a sharp pain seeped through my ribs.

"Easy, my lady," The woman cooed, her hands rushing to steady me. "You've had quite the nasty run in. You ought to lie still."

I swallowed thickly, settling back down onto the comfortable bed supporting me. "Who are you? Where am I? Where are-"

I couldn't decide if I should mention the fact I was acquainted with two dragons.

"Alright, dear," the woman began, a tight lipped smile on her face. "My name is Poppie Carlton, but Mistress Carlton or Misses Poppie will do. You're currently in the Greenbrock castle, home to the good king Marlo."

I blinked at her, my breath picking up at all the new information. "I've never heard of Greenbrock. Or it's good king."

Poppie laughed, the apples of her cheeks bunching into round balls on her face. "I figured as much."

She had a strange accent, one I'd never heard before. It was a real roll off the tongue type, each word beating from her mouth like a drum.

"How did I get here?" I asked, my throat suddenly dry.

A smirk pulled at the corner of her lips, "The dragons are here and safe, my lady."

I tried my hand at sitting up again, much to Mistress Carlton's dismay. My face contorted and I sputtered out a breath as I moved to lean against the headboard. "So you know about them then—dragons."

She nodded, "Everyone here in Greenbrock does. You'll find this part of the country much different from the one you call home."

To say I was confused was an understatement. What could she possibly mean by that? I needed to know more about where I was—about Greenbrock and the people living in it. But first, I needed to see Sephraim.

I let my eyelids fall shut, clearing my mind of the thousands of questions cluttering the link to her.

Sephraim? I called smoothly.

Asha, her reply was almost immediate, Oh thank the sun. Are you alright?

Yes I'm fine, I think. In thinking if my health I was reminded of what had happened. We were attacked, Sephraim was shot. I was shot.

Why are we here? I asked, still not really sure where here was.

It was the safest place I could think to bring you for aid, she answered. Don't worry, you're safe here. We all are. Has Poppie found you?

My eyes fell open, finding the old woman staring at me in a peculiar way. I laugh through my nose shortly, Yes she's found me.

Sephraim, who were those men who attacked us? The link was quiet for a few moments before her voice finally waved through my mind in its strange echo.

Slayers. Dragon slayers.

My eyes opened on instinct, the sudden movement causing Misses Poppie flinch. "Are you alright, dear?"

I drew in a shaky breath, my eyes flickering around the room. A large open window took up a good portion of the wall to my left, thin white curtains danced lightly in the breeze. A table made of the most smooth, dark red wood I've ever seen was placed neatly in the center of the large room—a bowl of fruit set on the surface.