A Dragon and a King

My mind raced as Nik and I slipped from the upper district of Wetchport and back into the wide streets near the docks. We were nearly running by the time we made it to a different inn a few blocks away from the Mare. This one was considerably smaller and smelled like urine and spilled rum, but there was a sense of safety in the foul state of "Yon's". It felt as though the rotted boards of the front door were enough to keep anyone worth fearing away. Nik and I checked into one of the five rooms available and settled into the tiny space by locking the door and making sure the mold-ridden window boards were secured shut. It wasn't until I finally sat on the small chair I almost feared would break under my weight that I realized I was shaking. 

After a few quiet moments filled by nothing but the distant commotion outside and our collective heavy breathing, Nik started to laugh. 

"Why are you laughing?" I asked incredulously. "We could've just been executed in a gang member's office."

"That's why I'm laughing," he chuckled. "We're not dead, and we accomplished what we went there to do."

I stared at him. "Yes, yes. We escaped the long speeches of Marsya Arrington, after she revealed my identity and essentially let us know she's always a step ahead. I don't even think she believed you when you told her where we were going."

"Ah, but we're alive, Asha," he said, pointing a finger at me. "And that, is enough for me at the moment." 

I blew an exasperated breath from my mouth before Nik's grin became contagious. The laughter began again, and soon, we were both cackling like a pair of loons. Here we were, the two of us alone in the most dangerous city on The Mapp, getting what we wanted from gang leaders after a single meeting and threatening deckhands at knife-point. Two years ago, I was clueless and naive, and lonelier then ever back at my village. I'd never have guessed this is where I would've ended up--the True Bonded Dragon Rider half a world away. 

Eventually our laughter faded, and an easy quiet came again. Nik pulled in a deep breath as I took him in. He was a boy, really. He'd begun to show the lightest touch of stubble along his jaw, but the color was light just like his hair. His eyes--one pale green and the other sky blue--found mine. 

"What's wrong?" he asked, his hands moving up to dramatically stroke across his features. "Something on my face?"

I giggled. "Just a stupid look."

He feigned shock and offense, a gasp swelling his chest. "You dare insult a king? I could take your head for that."

"And risk the dragon?" I taunted. "You can try."

He chuckled. "Fair enough."

He moved to sit on the little horse-hair bed beside me, it's old frame creaking under his weight. 

"I grabbed something for you," I mentioned, remembering the little book in my pack. 

"Is it a pony?"

I rolled my eyes, shoving my hand down into my bag and retrieving 'The Tales of Gods Among Men'. I handed the little red-covered book over to Nik, who hesitated before taking from my fingers. He thumbed through the pages just as he had before, a solemn expression lining his handsome face.

"I've never heard them," I explained. "I figured it'd be a good way to pass time on the King's Vein."

His eyes remained on the book, his thumb running over the worn cover. He smiled.

"I can't believe you stole a book," was all he said.

I laughed. "That's you big takeaway from my gesture?"