The Bond

I sat on my bed, watching as the storm ravaged the balcony just beyond the curtains that whipped around in the angry wind. Thunder cracked overhead, a flash of lightening alighting the sky moments afterward. I pulled my knees to my chest, resting cheek against them as I watched the sea grow more and more treacherous.

I could remember a time when I was deathly frightened by storms. As a child I'd clutch Nan's skirts, my grip tightening at each blow of thunder and flash of lightening. She'd pet my tangle of golden hair, singing a song softly under her breath just loud enough for me to here the melody. I never could make out her words, just the soothing hum in her chest as she sang. She'd pull me into her lap, telling me stories of dragons and witches and ghosts. My father was constantly reminding me that they were only the tales of an old woman.

I found myself smirking at thought. Well I certainly showed him, didn't I, Nan?

I wasn't afraid of the storms any longer, and the stories I'd heard on my grandmother's lap were far too fathomable now. I had greater things to fear now than angered clouds.

I pulled the fur cloak I'd thrown over my shoulders tighter around my body as the cold wind chilled the room. I decided I'd probably be more comfortable out in the great room with Sephraim and Darius. When I slipped quietly into the hall, I could see the glow of fire dancing on the walls. Darius was curled up to one side, his golden eyes hidden behind dark lids. His body rose and fell in steady breaths, confirming that he was asleep. Sephraim sat in front of the massive hearth, her eyes watching the flames consume the burning stones inside.

"What are you thinking of?" I asked using Draconic. She looked in my direction, suddenly aware of my presence. She smiled, nodding to her side—beckoning me to join her. I obeyed, crossing the room to sit beside her in front of the fire.

I want to tell you about my past bonds, she answered. I scanned her face, finding no indication of why she'd suddenly wanted to share this with me.

The first, she began, the very first, was about 200 years ago—maybe longer now. I'm not entirely sure, it's been so long. I could see in her eyes the memories dancing about, a small smile touched her lips.

His name was Alister, and he was a prince. He looked a bit like you, actually. Wild golden hair—except his eyes were a bit less striking than your own. His were a sort of faded blue, like an overcast sky. He was kind, and gentle. I can remember his smile quite clearly, even now. She paused, and for a moment I thought she might cry. She didn't. Instead she pressed on, a long sigh forming the words. The dragon bond extends your lifetime, as you know. It slows your aging process and it's even said to make you harder to kill.

I could tell she didn't believe that, which lead me to think it just blatantly wasn't true.

Everything was fine for a time. He had no desire to use our bond to further his power. Instead, when he became king, he used his ability to fly to reach the further parts of his kingdom in order to see each and every one of his subjects. She smiled, remembering all the times they'd gone to see the common people. He'd talk to them for hours. Let the children pet me, let the women have jewels from his cloaks. And when we'd return to the castle, he'd talk about them still.

When he met his wife, things changed a bit. He was enamored by her—rightfully so. Her name was Kaela, and still to this day I'm convinced that woman was a witch. Her hair was a deep red, like your eyes...like blood. It's a witch trait to have a hair colored in an odd way like that. She had Alister wrapped around her finger from the moment he'd met her, and she was displeased with his position as a Rider. She didn't like the concept of him staying young while she grew old. She wanted him to break the bond.